71 Dart newbee

-

71DARTNJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. Just picked up a 71 Dart that has not run in 35years. OK she cranks, has new Starter Solenoid, coil, resistor, wire and plugs, cap and rotor. Same old points. She cranks vis a jump at the starter or solenoid ....NO spark. have 12 volts to the coil and NOTHING from the coil...What is my next action. OH by the way when I turn the key NOTHING...

Thanks for the welcome. Just picked up a 71 Dart that has not run in 35years. OK she cranks, has new Starter Solenoid, coil, resistor, wire and plugs, cap and rotor. Same old points. She cranks vis a jump at the starter or solenoid ....NO spark. have 12 volts to the coil and NOTHING from the coil...What is my next action. OH by the way when I turn the key NOTHING...

What motor and is it electronic ignition or points?

I think first thing I would check is the steering column electrical connector, and if there is any indication of any gauges working.

You have power to the coil, but what distributor, stock looking or maybe aftermarket?

Also make absolutely sure the ignition box is grounded if it’s electronic.

There’s a start for verifying some critical things.

Much appreciated, Stock points, dist. Did not notice any gauges working other than the oil light. ignition and key do not mate very well but it unlocks, turns and when turned forward to start ...My 12v Test light gets lit at the solenoid. I have 12v at the starter solenoid but have never had power at the secondary or small wire from solenoid to starter.
Would having a bad distributor result in NO test spark or secondary coil voltage?

IMG_5971.jpeg

-
Back