71 dart rust!!! help

-

1971dodgedart/6

Reaction score
I dont know the correct way of getting rid of this rust without chemicals, there has to be another way, sanding? wire wheel? whats the cheapest way? I can spent all day on it if I had to. Please help

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Yup.......it's gotta be rough paper........or a power grinder, but the grinder can remove a lot of steel if you're not careful.....best grit for a grinder will be 80...........and then you'll have rust residue left in the tiny pits......use a rust "changer" like POR or similar to avoid future rust.........or else you have to literally grind the rust out, which means removing the steel to a depth of the pits.

yep, I have been plugging away at similar situations. Sand it off, then hit it with some rust converter. Boddy filler, and paint. Wahla back to new looking.

If you're going to sandblast be careful, its pretty easy to warp sheetmetal with sandblasting. I'd buy an air or electric powered DA (depending on if you have an air source) and put an 80 grit pad on it, probably take an hour or two. If you use a 36 or 40 grit you'll have to go back over it several times with a finer grit to get the deep scratches out, and it really isn't much faster than 80 grit. The 80 grit pads will clog up more, but if you change them more frequently it won't be an issue.

ok so a DA sander, some 80 grit and finer paper, and some por rust changer to avoid sanding it into nothing. alright ill will give this a try. ive seen this front pan go for alot of money so going and getting a new one with shipping is way over my budget. thank you all -travis

I would get it media blasted, that way you know for sure if there is holes. If there are holes and you dont get them taking care of properly, your just wasting your time. If your going to sand it, then get a grinder, and grind it off with 40 grit, then sand it with a DA with 80 grit. it will go faster for ya.

How about a wire wheel on a angle grinder. I have stripped paint and rust off fenders before using this method.

sand it down, then use a wire wheel on it . to get the pits cleaned out . the float a thin layer of body filler on it to fill the pits sand it down smooth and the put primer on it . fixed . cost ,20 bucks for filler and sand papper.

How about a wire wheel on a angle grinder. I have stripped paint and rust off fenders before using this method.
thants exactly what i tried, a 3M sanding sponge, a craftsman wire wheel in an angle grinder, its working well. heres a few pictures of the progress.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Just looks like surface rust. Keep sanding away, then use a rust "killer" like POR 15 or rust bullet to prime it before you do any body work. Keep up the good work!:cheers:

is there a store that sells something like that? like home depot anywhere? the rust will still need to be chemically blasted even if i wheel the **** out of it?

In times like these i wish people like you lived close by. Piece of cake. Bead blast it if you have the chance. If not the wire wheel should do the job.

thank you for the help again. its comming along well. i used brakleen and brake fluid and a pennsylvania license plate to get the paint real loose and thin, it took me less then 10 mins this afternoon before work to hit it with the wire wheel and i just sanded 220 grit over it and washed it, theres some holes, and some pits that the metal is REAL thin, i imagine i could grind them through with a dremel and weld the hole shut? i dont want to just cake bondo over the holes.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

While it is possible to open those holes a little more then weld it back up, its not the easiest thing to do. In some cases it mat be better that you cut a small chunk out and then weld a new piece in. Seems that may be the case on that bottom corner. The metal seems to be pretty far gone there. If you just take to spot welding it, you will probably burn through it pretty quickly, if you dont have the experiance needed. However it is definately possible to just spot it closed, very carefully. Just depends on your skill and welder type.

-
Back