71 Demon Build

-
I have used POR15 quite a bit, the issue with it is when the metal doesn't have rust on it. POR15 is a magnet to rust, to good steel, not so much. If you are applying it to steel that is not rusted you need to clean it extremely well (POR15 sells a cleaner too) and then apply a metal etching product that POR15 sells and leave it on for a while to etch the metal so that the POR15 will stick to it correctly. I have yet to have issues following POR15 instructions, but I have never applied it to really clean new metal, where most of the failures happen. Also, you never want to put POR15 where it gets direct sunlight, the product is not UV resistant and will degrade rapidly if it is in direct sunlight. I can tell you one thing, when POR15 stick correctly to metal, it is an extremely tough and durable surface. I have had floor pans that were POR15 coated and after the coating water got in the car and sat for weeks, and it is as if the metal is now impervious to rust and water, the water just sits on top of the POR15 and will just evaporate without rusting the metal underneath, or you being able to see any rusting coming up from the area. If that stuff falls on your cement floors, it is there forever...

I have used POR15 quite a bit, the issue with it is when the metal doesn't have rust on it. POR15 is a magnet to rust, to good steel, not so much. If you are applying it to steel that is not rusted you need to clean it extremely well (POR15 sells a cleaner too) and then apply a metal etching product that POR15 sells and leave it on for a while to etch the metal so that the POR15 will stick to it correctly. I have yet to have issues following POR15 instructions, but I have never applied it to really clean new metal, where most of the failures happen. Also, you never want to put POR15 where it gets direct sunlight, the product is not UV resistant and will degrade rapidly if it is in direct sunlight. I can tell you one thing, when POR15 stick correctly to metal, it is an extremely tough and durable surface. I have had floor pans that were POR15 coated and after the coating water got in the car and sat for weeks, and it is as if the metal is now impervious to rust and water, the water just sits on top of the POR15 and will just evaporate without rusting the metal underneath, or you being able to see any rusting coming up from the area. If that stuff falls on your cement floors, it is there forever...
I love to hear this! I did indeed clean and etch with the POR-15 products before shooting the paint! Hope I have as good of results!

Fellas, as life does it happens. It is looking like I may have to get rid of the car few questions for the experts: what would a fair price be as she sits? Would it be worth finishing bodywork and getting it primed before listing it? I don’t wanna sell her. I’ve had it since I was 16 but like I said life happens. Appreciate the input

Well, that totally sucks :( You have a dilemma right there........You'll lose your shirt if you sell a project, and you'll have more time and money into it than you'll ever get out of it if you finish it. I feel for you brother, good luck with your decision.

I hate to read this... speaking as a guy who sold my first car, a Swinger, back around 2007 or so and now in 2021 bought another Scamp, I'd encourage you to hold onto the car if you can. Maybe try selling the motor/tranny/stuff from your brother's wrecked car to get you out of life's pickle if that's enough, and then save the rest of your car for when you can finish it... another motor is a lot easier to come by than your first car... Once those are gone, they're gone.

Good luck.

I just finished reading this thread and enjoyed it till I got to the end. I hope you manage to keep your Demon while dealing with life’s issue. You’ve done a lot of nice work so far. My Demon was my first car too and it’s been sleeping for thirty years. I’m bringing it back to life and very happy that I never sold it.

Looking like I might be able to keep the ol demon! Anyways figured I’d keep plugging along on it either way. Lots more body work done, frame connectors installed, floor painted with Por-15.

C8913F22-CB96-4E76-96E9-1816388C65C7.jpeg

8481AF9D-08B8-4EBC-9F27-D8C3A6FAC904.jpeg

8A9D58DD-5783-4DF7-9649-A0A3100B8CE7.jpeg

-
Back