71 Demon Price?

-

erict

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I may be jumping on the mopar wagon soon after being a lifetime GM guy. I just sold a chevelle and want to build a mopar sleeper w/ a 6.1 EFI hemi motor next.

I'm looking at a bone stock, untouched 71 Demon with 32K miles. Its a 1-owner beige 'grandma' car with a /6, AT, cold AC absolutely no rust and nice paint.

The lady wants $6,500 for it. Do you mopar guys think that it too much for a 6 cyl car? I'd end up putting 10-12K in it swapping the drivetrain out, but I want have to touch the body.

Sorry I don't have pics, thanks for any input.

Eric

not too bad but a car like this would be better preserved as a piece of history. theyre only original once. theres always a lot of started and bailed projects that could save you a lot of money. check out the dart for sale for 6500 on here.you could sell parts you dont need and knock a hunk off the original cost and spray it your color. this car http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=49217

I think that is a fair price since you will not have to touch the body..Try to get some pictures, what color is the car and interior?

It could be just me. But I would not pay 6500$ for a Slant/6. No way. But any way with out pic's it is hard to say. If the thing was cherry not a thing wroung with it and it was realy untuched.... mabby.

I think you should tell us where it is and buy another chevy and leave the Demon to the people that doesnt consider Mopar a "Wagon" Its like buying a pair of Doc Martins and a Social Distortion CD and trying to get into CBGB's.

$6500 is a good price if you have no paint or interior work to do at all. If you just have to do drivetrain, suspention I think its well worth it.

Welcome to FABO and good luck Im only breaking your chops. Welcome to your new adiction

Thanks for the replys so far. The car really is an absolut cream puff that will make you wet your pants. The only problem is the /6.

I no what you mean about not cutting up an original car. I've just been burnt too many times taking projects apart to find hidden problems that cost big $$$. Cheap fresh paint jobs hide a lot, and I'm weary of someone's unfinished project. Besides a motor/tranny swap can always be put back stock.

To the question about the color: it's tan with tan interior. GM calls it "covert tan" I'm not sure about mopar. It's the original paint. Garaged it's whole life.

Biege?

There's a light gold, tan, butterscotch, and an off white. Not sure of the color.

Get some pics and if you can the fender tag codes for the car.

If the exterior/interior are in excellent condition and it's a survivor type car, IMHO, $6500 is not out of range for a price. The color would be big in where it went from there. A less desirable color maybe a bit less.

A Demon is a lot harder to find then a duster or dart and if your happy with tan I would say go for it. Post some pic's for opinions, As fas as cutting a car up its a shame to modify any original car but if its a 6/auto it has no real collectable value. Dont get me wrong im not saying its worth nothing but if it doesnt have a 340, 4spd or a hole in the roof CUT IT UP!

Rare car, 2 year run. That`s near what I paid for my 67 cuda back in 97, with no regret. Replaced the driveline anyway, I`d rather do bolt on than body and paint, cause I lack experience. Follow your heart, cars this old and solid are rare as hen`s teeth. Patching up a rust bucket is serious work. If a Demon is what you want, go for it. I think their cool looking cars, and with that engine your contemplating, most would be looking at your back bumper!

If the body is as good as it sounds, that price is fair IMHO. Metal work ain't cheap and good panels dont exist for Demons in the aftermarket. (except tailpanels now)

I think you should tell us where it is and buy another chevy and leave the Demon to the people that doesnt consider Mopar a "Wagon" Its like buying a pair of Doc Martins and a Social Distortion CD and trying to get into CBGB's.

$6500 is a good price if you have no paint or interior work to do at all. If you just have to do drivetrain, suspention I think its well worth it.

Welcome to FABO and good luck Im only breaking your chops. Welcome to your new adiction
I did not wanta say that but i was thinking the same thing...If it's really clean i would buy it...

As you can see there are some great tec's and great folks here .
So jump on in and enjoy.

It sounds like a nice deal if it's that clean and original..........

There are lots of tech articles here that will walk you through a conversion to the Hemi...........it's been done on the A's now with good success.

I respect the thought that it's a piece of history, but it's also a fact that very few if any old cars retain a decent value (relatively speaking) with 6 cylinders in them..........If you did what you say you'd like to do, the car would be worth FAR more down the road than with the original drivetrain......that is, if you were careful to keep it a "Demon" and not ruin the rest of it's "history" in the process.

$6500. for a pristeen 32K mile Demon, even with a slant, is a good investment.

Here she is guys :-D...I drove 200 miles and probably paid too much, but I have no regrets. The car is bone stock with the exception of the cheesy steering wheel the guy put on in the 80's. Purchased from the original owner, he still had his original sales contract, build sheet, and every maintenance record for the car for the past 36 years. The engine has never been rebuild.....Yes it is a 72 not a 71, the guy couldn't remember exactly when he bought it.

The only issue with the car is the rear main is pissing, and all the original front end parts are worn. I plan to drive it for a while until I can get the money together for a late model hemi conversion. I do not plan to touch the body with the exception of disc brakes and suspension upgrades.

Thanks to everyone for the comments on the asking price. I'll definetly have more questions as I get into the project. I appreciate everyone's help

PC070344.JPG

PC070348.JPG

PC070349.JPG

PC070350.JPG

PC070354.JPG

PC070355.JPG

PC070360.JPG

PC080363.JPG

PC080364.JPG

It's beige with ac, hmm maybe you should sell that one and find another one? Just kidding, that would be a great daily driver, nice find...Good luck on the build..

Listen.....ask any of the guys here with experience.........If you had bought one with any type of body repair needed, you'd have to figure it accordingly.....then a basic "block and paint" on top of that (these days, appx. 4 grand for one done right).........and you're almost at your purchase price already..........now add door handles, new bumpers, grillework, etc..etc...etc...ad nauseum, and you're WAY over your price........(Your wheel well trim ALONE on that car in basically NOS condition is worth at least $550+......cheap repops are well over $300, and unavailable now). Your near perfect original bumpers are worth ????? (hoky smokes.....quite a bit of dough!!!!).

It's all subjective...........All things considered, even if you go with a respray over that gorgeously straight and smooth body, you got one heck of a deal at that price. It's a DEMON.......and a real beauty !!!!!!!! :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

WOW! Very nice car. That thing is cherry. You did good. Keep us up dated on the build. Sounds like it should be a very nice project.

-
Back