71 Duster instrument cluster: removal of plastic lens before painting

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve just had my instrument cluster repaired and I plan to re-do the cluster paint myself. I’ve read forums about cleaning and painting. I’m wondering if there’s anything to gain by taking the metal backing off before painting. My reason would be to remove the plastic lens over the speedometer and the 4 gauges. Are these lens glued in place and impractical to remove?

E0366D43-C05D-402B-8355-38EEFF3D4F6B.jpeg

On my ‘72 Demon I removed the metal part (it makes the rest easier to handle). I then mask the lenses as I felt that a lot of damage could be done by trying to remove them. I also covered the back side to prevent any spray drift getting there.
A lot of time involved - mask, spray, dry repetition to get the multiple colors. After paint completion I coated with spray polyurethane for protection. I found that for the narrow silver trim around gauges, a silver felt tip pen worked best for me.
Wait several days (at least 3) before polyurethane so that paint will not try to release and bubble up. This also applies to repetitive coats of paint unless done within two hours (read can directions).
Yote

They pop off easily. They are held in place by plastic spot welds for lack of a better term. Just a small amount of pressure will release them. Reassemble using epoxy in the same location as the spot welds. This will also give you a chance to buff the lenses for better clarity.

They pop off easily. They are held in place by plastic spot welds for lack of a better term. Just a small amount of pressure will release them. Reassemble using epoxy in the same location as the spot welds. This will also give you a chance to buff the lenses for better clarity.
Thanks!

Like this ^^^^^ Sometimes, you run into a stubborn one and a small, precise exacto knife will make quick work of it. I always glue the lens back in place with small dabs of clear silicone RTV and let it sit overnight. That way it will stay put but will be easily removed next time if need be.

I used Krylon Fusion satin espresso #2436 and Satin black. With the silver pen it would probably be better to not paint black first although it seems to cover fairly well. It could possibly take a couple coats. It has been a few years and I don’t remember well.
Yote

-
Back