71 Grille & Fenders on 72 Demon?

-

Musket

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm currently restoring a '72 Dodge Demon as a restomod, and I'm putting in a 440 and a six speed manual transmission. It's intended to be a a fun street/strip car inspired by early '70s street legal drag car (not pro-street.) Would it be considered a faux pas to use a '71 Demon grille on it, since I have one and I like the look? What about if I use '71 fenders as well, which have the lower side markers?

Thanks!

It's YOUR car, do what you want. Hell if you want to install a RB26DETT motor in it, have fun.

If you use the '71 fenders you'll still have to address the rear markers. The '71 markers are recessed with a chrome bezel too, the '72+ markers are just the "stick on" looking plastic ones. Of course the '71 Demon markers didn't match anyway, but I wouldn't want to mix the earlier and later styles because they're so visually different.

I'd just change the grille over. All you should need to do is change the fender extensions to the '71 style, then the grille should just bolt in. That way the side markers still match and you're just running a '71 grille in a '72.

Either that or use the '71 fenders and weld in the recesses for the '71 rear markers too, so the car just appears to be a '71.

Thanks for the responses!

I didn't realize that the quarter panels are different on '72 compared to the '71 Demon due to the market light; the holes have a different shape and location.

I'll just stick with changing the grill only.

-
Back