71 GY3 Dart in Sacramento...

-

Cal_gecko

Citron Yella!!
Reaction score
I bought this car in 2003... it had been sitting for 7 years when I bought it. It's a factory GY3 car, came with a 318/904/7.25 .. now has a 360/904/8.75 ... got painted last Friday.. I've done a lot to it since 2003.. except DRIVE it!! Hoping to do that this year!

Here's a gallery I've put together of photos..

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cal_gecko/sets/72157620915200760/with/7111915681/"]Dodge Dart - a set on Flickr[/ame]

Hello and welcome. I enjoyed going through your pics. I noticed you painted most (all?) of the jambs before you painted the main body. Can you talk a little about the thought process?

I am considering doing the same with mine, and have considered and reconsidered the pro and cons; I am interested to hear how you arrived at you decision, and would you do it again?

Any particular techniques used when prepping/masking/spraying the main body you had to do different?

Hello and welcome. I enjoyed going through your pics. I noticed you painted most (all?) of the jambs before you painted the main body. Can you talk a little about the thought process?

I am considering doing the same with mine, and have considered and reconsidered the pro and cons; I am interested to hear how you arrived at you decision, and would you do it again?

Any particular techniques used when prepping/masking/spraying the main body you had to do different?

Thanks... I used to do autobody/paint for a living a long time ago... I knew that in order for the finished product to look decent, I wanted the jambs all done so they all looked fresh. I did them individually for a couple reasons -
1 - space - for the first few years I was working on the car (when I did the engine compartment and inside the trunk), I was living in a condo that had a 1 car garage - I had about 1.5 feet on each side of the car, and about 10 feet of extra "length" to work with in the garage.. so I had to do things one at a time
2 - corrosion - I didn't want to leave too much bare metal while working on things.. and since this was being done while I was still working a day job and having a 'life', I knew that it may be a while between phases..so I did one jamb at a time when I was able to.

This way, with all the jambs done by the time we got to the exterior, we don't have to worry about trying to open the doors/trunk to get paint coverage while painting the exterior..

as far as prep work..
removed all parts, clips, nuts, bolts etc as necessary in the area you're working.
thoroughly clean the area you're working on with damp rag to remove loose dirt/grime
then, use a professional grade wax and grease remover to degrease the old paint surface
strip the paint down to bare metal using DA sander and MANY 3M stripping wheels (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/3M...e Wheels-_-2EXZ5&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=2EXZ5)
When the surface was paint-free, I blew it all off with compressed air and wiped it down with wax and grease remover to clean the surface
mask off the area (don't touch bare metal with your bare hands)
using a professional grade metal-etch primer, put a couple light coats on the bare surface
when that's dry, put a couple coats of professional grade urethane filler primer on the surface

When that has dried, prep it appropriately (sanding, filling any spots, etc)... and use wax/grease remover to prep surface for paint... mask, and then paint.

I use ONLY professional grade products purchased from the local auto-body supply store.. stuff's not cheap... DON'T use the crap you can get at O'Reilly's, Napa, etc... the ONLY spray can product I used was the metal etch primer.. other than that, it's all stuff that needed to be mixed and sprayed through a paint gun.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your overall method and appreciate the factors that brought you to your decision. I am considering this method as well so I can get the engine and electrical in before dong all the finish body work on the exterior.

When I worked at the body shop, the only time I did jambs separately when I was working on fender bender insurance work. I remember using a special foam product from 3m to mask the jamb area, and used some over reduced clear on those areas to "burn it in"

My follow up question:
Where did you mask the jamb to when you did final paint, and how did you mask it (rolled 2inch tape, special foam, fine line?)

My main concern is not wanting an over-sprayed jamb, or a weird hard line from painting the exterior.

btw- are you going to the mopar alley show in fremont this year? I'd love to see this thing in person!

http://www.moparalley.org/

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your overall method and appreciate the factors that brought you to your decision. I am considering this method as well so I can get the engine and electrical in before dong all the finish body work on the exterior.

When I worked at the body shop, the only time I did jambs separately when I was working on fender bender insurance work. I remember using a special foam product from 3m to mask the jamb area, and used some over reduced clear on those areas to "burn it in"

My follow up question:
Where did you mask the jamb to when you did final paint, and how did you mask it (rolled 2inch tape, special foam, fine line?)
Yeah, I wish these guys had done something like that, I think I've got hard tape edges about 1/4" into the jambs with the way they masked it. Honestly though, it was a budget paint job, so I'm not going to be too picky. All together, the paint and bodywork (including materials) cost me about $3k .. so I'm not going to complain. I just want it on the road :)
My main concern is not wanting an over-sprayed jamb, or a weird hard line from painting the exterior.

btw- are you going to the mopar alley show in fremont this year? I'd love to see this thing in person!

http://www.moparalley.org/
I don't know if I'll be able to make it to that show this year.. that's a stretch, considering the fact that it's already May, and the car needs to be completely reassembled and road tested a bit. I don't think it'll make any shows this year.. but definitely next year :)

Welcome to FABO Cal_Gecko!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• Shop Driver Side Front 3 Qtr 2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 268
Welcome to the greatest car site in the world. :cheers:

Update ... been working on getting it running properly ... finally had success with that the other day... it's running GREAT now...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njUkcoXhToI&list=UUI3o1I0V0CJXfOmuCbQdUdg&index=2&feature=plcp"]SUCCESS!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

And have started putting stuff back together...

581307_10150982505896675_120978972_n.jpg

547900_10150988990981675_642001674_12364466_1144525687_n.jpg

Nice Dart! That color looks great. I'm over in Citrus Heights as well. You might have seen me driving the white Duster around.

I used to have THIS Duster. It is in North Dakota now.

Attachments

• D1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 222
Nice Dart! That color looks great. I'm over in Citrus Heights as well. You might have seen me driving the white Duster around.

I haven't seen you... I would definitely have noticed! My daily driver is this little go-cart...

6738505449_da1d230657_z.jpg

but with some luck, soon enough I'll be driving the Dart.. .which will be hard to miss :)

THAT is a gorgeous car!!! I bet that was a difficult one to let go!

Thank you. Yeah, I sold it to pay down on a credit card and to put a little back into savings.
Truth is, I still have the Charger, I'm keeping this one.

Attachments

• DSCN1307.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 237
Thank you. Yeah, I sold it to pay down on a credit card and to put a little back into savings.
Truth is, I still have the Charger, I'm keeping this one.

Yeah, that's a great looking car too ... obviously, I have a soft spot for A-Bodies :)

Hope to see your Charger at the Hagan Park show!

Well if you can't do the mopar alley, there is always the mopar magic/madness?(always mix that up) show at sacramento raceway in september.

Spent yesterday refinishing the grille.. washed it down real good, sanded the bigger areas, used a Scotchbrite pad on all the other areas, in between all the grille slats, corners, etc... sprayed the silver first, waited for it to dry, masked it, then painted the black... I'm happy with the results!

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 187
  • photo 5.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 192
Ignore the blue inside the blinker lights,... that's masking tape on the inside to prevent overspray from getting on the backside of the lens

Looks good, but then again, with your photography skills, you could make a few of MY cars look nice!
Wait...That came out wrong. Starting again: Nice work.:prayer:

FrankenDuster - thanks :)

MagnumDust - I am really hoping to have it in the Mopar Magic show at Sac Raceway. I would have loved to have it ready for the Mopars in the Park show at Hagan Park next month, but that ain't gonna happen.
Thanks guys!

-
Back