71 hemi orange swinger rescue.

-
How many miles is the speeder meter showing, if over 85000 I bet the timing chain has jumped.

73529 miles.
Nasty smell but fuel pump was still working even though the front most bolt was gone. From what I can see with the bore scope I dont see any broken teeth on the timing chain. I will have to pull the valve covers if I have time tomorrow.

Rubber mallet test valves are not stuck. Could be gunked up but not stuck.

Man I'm going to be happy when I get my house dried in and I at least have a car port to work under. Got nice weather to work in but no lights, etc to work with after dark

Tomorrows project starts with this, assuming that the weather cooperates. Also found 8-10* of slop in the timing chain today so time to pull the intake and heads to see how bad the engine is. If ok then just rings and seals. If not it may be 360 mag time.

20200409_180217.jpg

Its supposed to rain tomorrow morning. But got progress today. Also installed header gaskets on the Coronet. Not a bad day.

20200410_193302.jpg

Great progress so far! Your a busy guy, I think I remember reading that you were building a house last fall? How's that going? It's great your boys are interested in older cars. Looks like you and your wife have done a great job so far ! Following. :popcorn:

Still in the building process as we are doing it out of pocket. I am on manditory 14 day quarentine so work on cars is all I can do.

Nothing in them pics would lead me to believe that engine is not at least a good core, or maybe better. I would not give up on it until I had it torn down and it given at least a full assessment. Now if you were hoping for a runner, and not considering even a basic overhaul, then a handy drop-in magnum could do the job. Or if you do not want straight magnum setup with the FI and serpentine setup, you could swap those out and bring over a bunch of your LA stuff, like the oil pan, pick-up, distributor, timing chain, oil pan, pulleys, front cover, valve covers, engine mounts and accessories are all direct bolt-ons. Good luck.

Just checked it and its got a ring ridge a rock climber could climb a rock face with. Deffinately a trip to the machine shop is in order.
Already have the pan, mounts, modified flexplate and heads drilled for a 340 intake. I'm thinking magnum it is.
Keeping the #'s engine and tranny though.

rings n bearings , lap the valves , new gaskets . its good to , hotrod bliss . those brakes are an easy build as well . how the fluid in the trans ?

Parts arrived today so the 360 magnum will be going back together for this car.
20200926_212554.jpg

Main and rod bolts. Only want to do this once.

So found a bit of water running out of the fresh air vent on the drivers side. Leaking windshield wiper seals or cowl? Is it possible to empty the cowl of debris or is it the same song and dance with any classic from that era?

So found a bit of water running out of the fresh air vent on the drivers side. Leaking windshield wiper seals or cowl? Is it possible to empty the cowl of debris or is it the same song and dance with any classic from that era?
I bet every car brand and model that has a cowl is subject to rust there, even Fords!!!! LOL... inside joke.
I will bet the cowl first, but some models tend to rust in windshield channel also. You might be thinking 68-70 B body.
I can pull the plastic guard off the top of cowl on the Volare and get my hand down in there, sorta , and feel the couple of rusted hole(s).
My early B bodies are bad about cowl rust in bottom and on the upper side. The 64 Savoy you put me onto (thanks again) will be fairly easy to address as the heater box will come out, and I will pull the instrument cluster to check out.

I bet every car brand and model that has a cowl is subject to rust there, even Fords!!!! LOL... inside joke.
I will bet the cowl first, but some models tend to rust in windshield channel also. You might be thinking 68-70 B body.
I can pull the plastic guard off the top of cowl on the Volare and get my hand down in there, sorta , and feel the couple of rusted hole(s).
My early B bodies are bad about cowl rust in bottom and on the upper side. The 64 Savoy you put me onto (thanks again) will be fairly easy to address as the heater box will come out, and I will pull the instrument cluster to check out.
Especially Fords, ask me how I know.:D
I guess we shall see how it goes.

Possible, sure. Hard to get to the drains with the fenders on. Make sure they're not clogged. Blow, suck, blow suck. Go up through the vent holes (heater box and vents out) with homemade attachments for a shop vac. People even cut access holes in the firewall like the earlier cars had. Or tow it about 60 with the vents open!

Possible, sure. Hard to get to the drains with the fenders on. Make sure they're not clogged. Blow, suck, blow suck. Go up through the vent holes (heater box and vents out) with homemade attachments for a shop vac. People even cut access holes in the firewall like the earlier cars had. Or tow it about 60 with the vents open!
I know the inner cowl has tons of leaves in it. Will try that first.

New set of rings installed and gapped to .022/.024. ARP main and rod bolts installed.
Still to do, check clearance on oil pump to main bolt, install the snout adapter for the fuel pump, drill the heads for LA pattern and assemble.

Hughes snout for running a mechanical fuel pump on the magnum engines.
20200929_092620.jpg
20200929_092623.jpg
20200929_092627.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back