71 R.B. (Rust Bucket) gt /6 ?'s

-

7t1gt

Reaction score
my /6 in my R.B. blew the valve cover off some time before I bought it I have never heard of this have any of u? and what would cause this?

By "blew the valve cover off" do you mean to say that the valve cover is shredded and the flange is still bolted to the head? If that is the case then yes I do know a way how that can happen.

Gas flooded engine, remove the spark plugs in an attempt to clear cylinders, very long matchstick to ignite and burn fuel in cylinders. This is the point where the fact that the spark plug tubes don't seal without plugs installed comes into the play. The fuel vapor will build up in the valve cover and that is where it will ignite violently. I still have the dented push-on style oil fill cap from when I learned this lesson when I was 18. If it had a twist on oil cap instead I don't know where all the force would have gone.

A picture would be nice.

at the moment I don't have pics because the car is north Dakota and im in Washington I bought it there not thinking that I would move back here long story any how when I bought it blew the cover off like the bolts r still in the head I plan on trying to bring the car here tax time and will take pics of it then so every one knows it is a true gt I ran the numbers on the fender tag it is I call triple black it had a black vinyl top black paint an black bucket interior with floor shift auto and its rusty but I like it and I got a good deal on it. :headbang: :burnout:

at the moment I don't have pics because the car is north Dakota and im in Washington I bought it there not thinking that I would move back here long story any how when I bought it blew the cover off like the bolts r still in the head I plan on trying to bring the car here tax time and will take pics of it then so every one knows it is a true gt I ran the numbers on the fender tag it is I call triple black it had a black vinyl top black paint an black bucket interior with floor shift auto and its rusty but I like it and I got a good deal on it. :headbang: :burnout:
As long as you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. Good luck with it. Just out of curiosity, where in Washington are you? I used to live in Bremerton, and also Everett for awhile.

Also, welcome to the site!

at the moment in moses lake but will b moving to east side of washington where r u now?

-
Back