'71 Scamp windshield install - what parts needed?

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
I need to buy parts to install a new windshield in my '71 Scamp. I know I need a new gasket for a 2-door hardtop (previously purchased a 2/4 door, sedan gasket that doesn't fit). :angry7:

I did a search here and came up with a bunch of related threads, but nothing specific to a Scamp. Do I need a "locking strip"? What about molding clips? are these size specific? Sorry for my ignorance, but every thread seems to name different parts. These may be the same parts that people are using different names for, or parts that are specific to different models or model years. I'm tired of buying the wrong parts! Please help set me straight...

If you need some clips, I took that 72 scamp apart and could get you the trim clips if need be.

The sedan windshield seal, I know someone local that is looking for one.

IIRC, there should be a lock strip in the windshield seal.

Thanks, Rob.

Yes, I'd love to get my money back on that sedan gasket, so if you know someone who needs it, let's talk.

I'm really just trying to get a handle on the parts that are necessary for this job. Okay, I need a hardtop gasket. You say I need a "lock strip" also. In one previous thread, someone mentioned Dante's as a source for their parts for a Duster. Would these be the same for my Scamp? I also read posts that indicated there are different lengths fo the clips, with some working and others being too short. I just want to be sure to get the right parts this time.

Much appreciated.

I THINK the gasket is different if you have a chrome molding than if you don't. I may be wrong, so check when you buy it.

The molding clips are very available on eBay and from just about all of the vendors. Make certain you get molding clip screws that have sealant already on them.

-
Back