71 scamp

-

scamper383

Reaction score
So when i bought this scamp i was happy with the 383 that was in it but now that i know wat 650hp on motor feels like on the street in a chevelle 454 i want some hp for my scamp it came factory with a /6 and 727 and 8-3/4 rear open diff and im not sure on wat way to go with this build im new to mopar i was all chevrolet until i met ed miller and he showed me this car he stuck this motor in i don't want 650hp but something over stock without going bottom end honestly so does any one have 2 cents for me. thanks for your help Seth

You can install a not too crazy cam & bolt-ons, gears & some stall, this will wake it up nicely.

yea but wat size cam i have a bunch of 750 holleys laying around to use and would like to use one of them. How do you determine wat stall you want to run? wat makes that stall speed work good with the motor is it based off of power band or red line or crusing rpm i dont have alot of experience in transmissions.

What gears are in the rear? Most slants had 2.76 gearing, not going to be very impressive even with a big block. What are the specs on the 383? Is it a magnum or just a 2 BBL motor somebody swapped intake on? What is the rest of the engine and drivetrain combo?

What are your goals, I'm sure someone installed the 8.3/4, do you have any idea what gears are in it? I've heard good things about the Hughes Engines "Whiplash" cams, they work really well for lower compression engines, plus they sounds great, I'd get there imput on a cam/converter/gear set-up, A 750dp should work really good on a 383, What intake you running? Heres the cam with sound clip, may need there springs too.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...V2hpcGxhc2ggTXVzY2xlIENhciBDYW1z&partid=25115
http://www.ptcrace.com/street-strip....html?osCsid=1ec6f63e56ca6c1cf49d32292fdd8ed6

This is how i would set it up if it were mine.

Whiplash cam.
SD intake, 2nd. choice RPM
750dp
MP distributor & chrome ECU
Shuamacker headers (to keep cost down) should be plenty of header for a mild 383.
32-3400 9.5" converter from a reputable source, No junky TCI or Boss Hogg, get a "real" converter that has great street manners, a PTC would foot the bill, I ran 4 of there converters & was very happy.
3.73 too 4.10 gears, 27" with 3.73s/28" with 4.10s
MT or Hooser DRs.

This will definitly wake it up big time if the engine is fairly stock at the present time.

Just looked at the shuamacker headers, damn them things went up in price

What gears are in the rear? Most slants had 2.76 gearing, not going to be very impressive even with a big block. What are the specs on the 383? Is it a magnum or just a 2 BBL motor somebody swapped intake on? What is the rest of the engine and drivetrain combo?

im not sure wat gear is in it yet it would turn 1800 rpm at about 55 so prolly would b that i havent bothered wit it just been doin bodywork on it it was just a stock 383 4bbl out of a new yorker and the car came factory with a 727

What are your goals, I'm sure someone installed the 8.3/4, do you have any idea what gears are in it? I've heard good things about the Hughes Engines "Whiplash" cams, they work really well for lower compression engines, plus they sounds great, I'd get there imput on a cam/converter/gear set-up, A 750dp should work really good on a 383, What intake you running? Heres the cam with sound clip, may need there springs too.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...V2hpcGxhc2ggTXVzY2xlIENhciBDYW1z&partid=25115
http://www.ptcrace.com/street-strip....html?osCsid=1ec6f63e56ca6c1cf49d32292fdd8ed6

This is how i would set it up if it were mine.

Whiplash cam.
SD intake, 2nd. choice RPM
750dp
MP distributor & chrome ECU
Shuamacker headers (to keep cost down) should be plenty of header for a mild 383.
32-3400 9.5" converter from a reputable source, No junky TCI or Boss Hogg, get a "real" converter that has great street manners, a PTC would foot the bill, I ran 4 of there converters & was very happy.
3.73 too 4.10 gears, 27" with 3.73s/28" with 4.10s
MT or Hooser DRs.

This will definitly wake it up big time if the engine is fairly stock at the present time.

Just looked at the shuamacker headers, damn them things went up in price

NA the build sheet says 8 3/4 i just want a nice street car sleeper style i mean its hard to keep quite in a town with one stop light and u know everyone by first name i dont want run headers and have clearence problems it has hp manifolds on it right now and i would like to keep them and just run some beefy size pipe yea i want to leave the bottom end i really wanted to leave the thermoquad on for that old skool daawaaa sound on the 4bbl lol like the old cop cars lol.....Wats a sd intake? im new to mopar so i dk all the brands yet and parts

im not sure wat gear is in it yet it would turn 1800 rpm at about 55 so prolly would b that i havent bothered wit it just been doin bodywork on it it was just a stock 383 4bbl out of a new yorker and the car came factory with a 727

Did this engine come out of a NewYorker or Newport? What year was the car?? The reason i ask is, If it came out of a NewYorker, Then its a 440, not a 383, All NewYorkers came factory with the 440, unless someone changed the engine & installed a 383, Its most likely doubtfull, Did the guy you buy it from confirm it to be a 383? And the fact that you mention TQ almost confirms its a 440, The 383s didn't come factory with TQs, only the 400 & 440, look on the side of the block 2 see what it is.

If you want low key & HP, scratch what i advised, The cheapest way to get HP & not a tone of work or break the bank is Nitrous, reatively cheap but very effective.

huh well it has a bottom feed air cleaner with a 383 commando plate on top he said it was a 383 it was a belvedere i just called him to find out

yea but if u do nitrous then you need to have some forged pistons and a motor that wasnt built in the sixtys

huh well it has a bottom feed air cleaner with a 383 commando plate on top he said it was a 383 it was a belvedere i just called him to find out

yea but if u do nitrous then you need to have some forged pistons and a motor that wasnt built in the sixtys

Not necessarily, There are many running on stock cast factory pistons on a 150 shot with no issues, they do it all the time, as long as the engines in decent shape of coarse, but i'v seen them run it on tired engines too & they don't blow up. What work was done to the engine, was it ever rebuilt?

Joe i dont think it was i believe ed took it out of the car to turn the car into a race car bc thats wat he runs he has to of them and then got bored one day and decided to put it in this scamp. Bc after he got it in and running he parked it out back he said it was 70k on it

-
Back