'71 Valiant - Choosing wheels and tires

-

Jarrett21952

Reaction score
Ok folks, I have a 1971 Valiant 4 door that I'm working on and am in the process of buying new wheels and tires. Now, I understand the bolt pattern, wheel size and depth... what I don't understand is the Rear Spacing and Offset. What are these things, and how should I determine what would work with my car?

Or, to put it simply, I'm seriously eyeballing these wheels:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/342-5712/10002/-1?parentProductId=751048

I absolutely love the way they look, and believe they will look great with my car (once it's painted black, currently primer). Now the wheels that are on the Valiant right now are 5x4.5 (15x7), so as far as I can tell they would work... just want to be sure before placing an order.

Also, can anyone tell me if I were to buy 15's for the front and 16's for the rear (to increase attitude and stance without too much work), would that cause problems for me or no? There is quite a bit of clearance in the back as it sits now, so I don't think rubbing would be an issue.

12742172_567318813432123_7549367974952127371_n.jpg

Just to note, the car isn't going to be racing or anything, just a fun once in a while driver. I will be dropping a 360 into it eventually (currently has the 225), but that'd be more for sound and show than racing.

Thanks guys!

I'm not much on all the back spacing and fitment advice myself but I will say this - that car is a 71-- are you SURE about that bolt pattern? That car would have come through with the 5x4 bp..

Max back space for your car with 4 inch pattern is 4 .25 inch . with 275-60x15 tires and you will need to roll the quarter lips.. With 4.5 bolt pattern rims could be 4.50 back space. This is with a standard a body 8 3/4 rear.

Back space is measured from the rear surface of the wheel where it sits against the axle to to outside edge of the wheel using a long straight edge going from lip to lip.

I usually used a 4 inch back space with a 8 inch wheel on all my a bodies. but recently recieea wheel in the trunk of a car purchace with a 4.25 back space summit racing had wheel vitiques special make a match here is a pic of those wheels with 4.25 backspace

Attachments

• DSCF3050[1].jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 233
  • b44[1].jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 237
  • b51[1].jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 236
I have 15x6.5 on the fronts with 3 3/4 BS and 255/60/15 on the rears with 15x7 and 4" BS with SS springs.

Attachments

• Picture 1200.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Picture 1201.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 213
You are going to have to do something about your springs sagging though if you want more meat under the back.

I'm not much on all the back spacing and fitment advice myself but I will say this - that car is a 71-- are you SURE about that bolt pattern? That car would have come through with the 5x4 bp..

Well now you got me doubting myself... I just measured the bolt pattern and it is 5x4.5, and the tires currently on the car are 205/75r14's.

I guess I still don't understand the backspace... Oldmanmopar, are you saying that backspace is measured from backside of the rim to front, lip edge to lip edge? I was under the impression that that was depth?

Back space is measuring from the inside/back of wheel (where brake drum touches) to the ouside of the rim lip. I have 4.5 bolt pattern too

wasn't trying to freak you out - just don't want to see someone buy something and the have to go through the BS of returning it and all that. So, it's very likely that someone did some work on that car - does it have front disk brakes?
Well now you got me doubting myself... I just measured the bolt pattern and it is 5x4.5, and the tires currently on the car are 205/75r14's.

I guess I still don't understand the backspace... Oldmanmopar, are you saying that backspace is measured from backside of the rim to front, lip edge to lip edge? I was under the impression that that was depth?

Your car looks small bolt in the pic. Can you post a pic of the rear wheel and of the rear axle?

Damn, you guys are good... also shows why you shouldn't listen to previous owners or measure the wheels themselves in the dark with tires still on them. Yes, the rear axle had some gear work done... asked the previous owner details about it, he said it was done by a local shop. He wasn't sure what the exact specs were, but he guessed 80/90 (not sure what that means).

Alright, so car is on jack stands... all wheels off (need to work on the brakes anyways), measured the lugs themselves this time. 5x4" pattern.

I feel like a jack*** now.

Front Wheel Hub:
12821640_572613956235942_4720571051075464398_n.jpg

Rear Wheel Hub:
12821415_572613979569273_4132305780244774564_n.jpg

Rear Axle (From under fuel tank):
12798970_572614002902604_5821022658313198294_n.jpg

Ok guys... drop a lesson to the new guy. Now that I'm sure of my pattern, what do I need to be certain of the rest of the dimensions? Or what am I looking for as replacements?

run a tape measure from the front of the brake drum to the spring
that is the maximum backspacing you could fit on there
BUT that leaves no room for tire flex, or bulge, depending on how the tires fit on the wheel
I'm sure the more experienced members will be able to tell you what to allow for that

The axle looks like 7 1/4 which would be correct for a stock /6 car. If you could find a 73 Valiant 4 dr or 73-6 duster or Dart Sport v8 parts car it will have everything you need to modernize your car. The custom small bolt stuff is expensive and don't always come with the right backspacing. How much are you looking to spend?

The axle looks like 7 1/4 which would be correct for a stock /6 car. If you could find a 73 Valiant 4 dr or 73-6 duster or Dart Sport v8 parts car it will have everything you need to modernize your car. The custom small bolt stuff is expensive and don't always come with the right backspacing. How much are you looking to spend?

To get her legal and on the road so I can enjoy driving her? I'll have approximately 3-4k in the next two months. After that, to fix her up and restore her to her former glory... maybe $200 a month on average until completion. Don't tell my wife I said that though.

ANYWAYS - I have the motor running quite nice now, with the exception of the carb (needs rebuilt). She needs other minor things, such as turn signal cam, ball joints and tie rods, speedometer line, brake pads and a good bleed. After all that, she'll be ready for inspection, plates and a good cruise.

I may buy a parts car for the conversion parts you spoke of... but for now I really just want to drive her. I think I'd be much more motivated to restore her if i have the option to take her out and show her off... So brings up the option of the wheels. I DID find some very similar wheels for the 5x4" pattern, and thanks to you guys I now know what the backspacing is (currently assuming that is the same as "rear-spacing"). I can get her a decent paint job for now, and these wheels are fairly cheap. Worth it in my eyes to make me feel better about the car. Eventually I will do everything proper... making her a show quality car of my own style. She is named "The Mistress", by the way... so I'm sure she will be taking up a lot of my time and money. lol

-
Back