'72 340 Duster Build date and casting date on parts ?

-

Mojack

Reaction score
I'm no where ready to start the restoration on my '72 Duster, but I think I should start looking for the right parts as I find them. The original motor was long gone when I got the car, so it's not a numbers matching project right off the bat. I would like to get the right parts on it to get it as close to factory as I can. The big question is....how much lead time on the date stamp on castings (intake, ex manifolds etc.) till the build date of the car ? a week, a month ?

I'm no where ready to start the restoration on my '72 Duster, but I think I should start looking for the right parts as I find them. The original motor was long gone when I got the car, so it's not a numbers matching project right off the bat. I would like to get the right parts on it to get it as close to factory as I can. The big question is....how much lead time on the date stamp on castings (intake, ex manifolds etc.) till the build date of the car ? a week, a month ?

A good general rule of thumb for most componets are appox. 4 to six months. That being said why would you want to put yourself through such punishment? Is your quest to have best of show and a gold cert. Car at the mopar nats? Just finding 40 year old parts is quite the challange these days, and big bucks. If you are missing large parts and you plan on doing a stock type resto,find the correct part numbers for those items. No one will ever notice that the date code on the radiator is after the build date of the car, but if its a four speed, it will have the correct part number on tank. If your car was a matching number car, I would be giving you the same advice. Lots of helpful people on this site and more than a few people doing resto on 72 duster 340 car myself included.

That makes since, I did want to show it some after it's done, but just local so it's not a big deal I guess. No since in spending a lot of money or time, because it will never have all the right numbers. Thanks va58 I've been reading your thread, it's been fueling the fire for me to get started on mine.

That makes since, I did want to show it some after it's done, but just local so it's not a big deal I guess. No since in spending a lot of money or time, because it will never have all the right numbers. Thanks va58 I've been reading your thread, it's been fueling the fire for me to get started on mine.

Would love to see the fender tag on how your car breaks down. do you have some pics of car or tag?

Here's a pic of the fender tag. The "patina" makes it hard to see, I can fill in the blanks if you can't make out some of it.

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 200
I have a 1974 dodge dart sport with number matching and only 72k miles for sale. A great project for a restore.
Not trying to sell you my car but as others said your goal is to have a number matching vehicle to restore then that is what you should start with. You will go nuts and be lucky to find the motor or parts that were in your car 40 years ago. If you do find them PLEASE play the lotto!

I have a 1974 dodge dart sport with number matching and only 72k miles for sale. A great project for a restore.
Not trying to sell you my car but as others said your goal is to have a number matching vehicle to restore then that is what you should start with. You will go nuts and be lucky to find the motor or parts that were in your car 40 years ago. If you do find them PLEASE play the lotto!

Thanks for the offer, but this one is the one. I've got too much history with it. The numbers thing is just a fun side bar to the project. I've already picked up the right casting number intake with a wrong date. You never can tell, I might run across a more correct one sometime and switch it out. I'm sure the motor is long gone killed, because the rest of the drive train was hammered pretty good and the 318 that was in it had it's tongue hanging out.

I'm looking at picking up a 72 Duster parts car in the next week or so. Still has the 340 and trans in it, along with the interior. Message if you need anything in particular!! Geof

-
Back