72 340 engine

-
just ran the numbers on my carb it is a carter afb 625 cfm. i was reading on line that the 340.s came from the factory with 850 cfm is that correct and is 625 to small

No no no, the later 71 and older cars came with the thermo carbs, those were rated at 850 but had smaller primaries and very larger secondaries.

Still a holley 650 double pumper would give more HP over a Carter 625 and not just from the 25 extra cfm. The secondaries don't kick in as quick on the Carters. Now the AVS Edelbrock have easily adjustable secondaries were you can fine tune it for best power. A 750 AVS would work great on the street for everyday use. For best power a Holley 750 double pump would likely eek out a bit more HP but i don't know, it seemed like for me the Carter/Edelbrock carbs just work better without having to adjust anything on the carb--ever. Let it sit for 2 weeks, start it up and take off, the holley might need a new metering block gasket now and then or the idle screws trek with, etc.

I used holley carbs for 20 years, tried Carter/Edelbrock but always went back to the Holley cause it made more HP--then one day I tried 2 Carter 500 carbs and a few months later sold all my holley stuff and still don't regret it.

just ran the numbers on my carb it is a carter afb 625 cfm. i was reading on line that the 340.s came from the factory with 850 cfm is that correct and is 625 to small
71 up got tq 850 cfm , 70 down came with carter AVS 650 , the edy 750-800 would be a good choice , easy to maintain / upgrade if you get a good one . Holleys are great but I was always having to adjust , change power valves , fix leaking bowls . But they gave a bit more power .

hi just changed the plugs now i have a skip at 1500 rpm or so when just cruising at night i looked at engine i had arking thru sparkplug boots i replaced the wires at idle and high rpms no skip runs fine any ideas where to look next my dist is stock

-
Back