72-93 truck clutch linkage questions

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve been preparing my 318/auto 83 RamCharger for a big block and a 4 speed (np445) and I’m trying to make sure I have all of the clutch linkage parts before I put the drivetrain in.

Is this everything I need?
B9BADFE7-9DA2-4469-8368-CD70F1F4A5E3.jpeg

Is this a factory welded clutch rod? It looks very questionable.
4AD408D3-3646-45C9-A572-1B50830005C8.jpeg

The bell housing has the ball pivot thing on the side of it. And a small bracket inside of it.
6256716F-629F-40B2-B73D-AC342EE5069B.jpeg
AC611F34-9B88-484D-A2F4-55B919C9A308.jpeg

When I googled it, I found a “complete” kit on eBay that had another large bracket with the Z-bar, but I can’t figure out what it would be for.
Thanks.

When I googled it, I found a “complete” kit on eBay that had another large bracket with the Z-bar, but I can’t figure out what it would be for.
The other bracket is probably for the frame/body side z bar pivot, which I didn't see in your pictures.
You'll also need a tension spring (goes from TOB arm to a notch in the bellhousing, IIRC). Can probably find something serviceable at the hardware store, no biggie.
Pedal pads are available at Van's Auto.

The other bracket is probably for the frame/body side z bar pivot, which I didn't see in your pictures.
You'll also need a tension spring (goes from TOB arm to a notch in the bellhousing, IIRC). Can probably find something serviceable at the hardware store, no biggie.
Pedal pads are available at Van's Auto.
It has this bracket on it. Looks like it would bolt to where the auto linkage bracket went.
57E1E6B1-7899-4E03-807E-D96559256C2F.jpeg

The auto bracket it laying in the background.

The clutch rod on my 83 D150 does not have that extension welded to it.
And there are spring clips that keep the clutch rod on the z bar and clutch pedal nubs, Brewers may have them.
They also sell the plastic bushings used to rebuild the Z bar.

I was trying to understand why someone would do that. Maybe a longer lever would make it easier to push in the clutch pedal?
I think for it to be a softer pedal, the extension would have to be on the z bar or the throw out bearing arm. It’s like they needed more clutch travel or something

Where did you get this stuff? Did someone have a body lift kit while using some of this stuff? Is this stuff from a pre-81 vintage, there not exactly the same. some small differences is the clutch and brake pivot point distance changes. Stuff for a 81+ should look more like this (see pic). that apply rod has been lengthened, why ever.
100_3992.JPG

Where did you get this stuff? Did someone have a body lift kit while using some of this stuff? Is this stuff from a pre-81 vintage, there not exactly the same. some small differences is the clutch and brake pivot point distance changes. Stuff for a 81+ should look more like this (see pic). that apply rod has been lengthened, why ever.
View attachment 1715894248
The body lift makes a lot of sense. I don’t know what exactly it came out of. It all came in a bucket of parts with the transmission I bought from a dude, who bought it from another dude.
I’m having trouble seeing any differences in the picture you posted, and my parts.

Being that you got it from a dude that got it from a dude, well go with, it's likely right. Measure center to center of that welded activation rod, NOT including the extension added, we'll compare . Some of this stuff at one time may of been from a non-4x4 set up. This extra bracket you mentioned, does it look like this? This is for the out-board pivot point for the Z-link, which attaches to the floor of the cab and not to the frame, for a regular 2x drive. First pic shows 2 different under floor choices for the pivot ball mount, pre 81 style and 81+ style.
100_3999.JPG
100_4001.JPG

Being that you got it from a dude that got it from a dude, well go with, it's likely right. Measure center to center of that welded activation rod, NOT including the extension added, we'll compare . Some of this stuff at one time may of been from a non-4x4 set up. This extra bracket you mentioned, does it look like this? This is for the out-board pivot point for the Z-link, which attaches to the floor of the cab and not to the frame, for a regular 2x drive. First pic shows 2 different under floor choices for the pivot ball mount, pre 81 style and 81+ style.
View attachment 1715894264 View attachment 1715894265
Yes the eBay one looked pretty much just like that 81+ one. I’ll get some measurements tomorrow. Thanks

View attachment 1715894264 View attachment 1715894265
The clutch rod is 17” from center to center. (Factory holes)

The "silver colored" one is the same as yours, the "rusty" one is 16", which came from a 82 2wd 318 o/d trans truck. I'm still thinking that someone had a lift kit in their unit. Lop off the add-on and you should be good to go.
100_4004.JPG

The "silver colored" one is the same as yours, the "rusty" one is 16", which came from a 82 2wd 318 o/d trans truck. I'm still thinking that someone had a lift kit in their unit. Lop off the add-on and you should be good to go.
View attachment 1715896157
Would you happen to know what attaches this rod to the pedal/zbar? I was thinking just a regular C-clip, but the holes are a strange shape

-
Back