72 A/C 340 Demon fan/clutch space?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 72 Demon 340 has only 2 1/2" of space from the front of the pulley to the face of the radiator core. I have a U S Radiator direct fit aluminum. I read some folks have 5" of space here? Where the hell am I losing 3" at. This is friggin crazy. Do I have a different year water pump when I built my motor? I thought all the 318 340 360 water pumps where the same. I think I bought a high volume Mopar stock pump, but do they all sit the same? And I cannot see this taking up 3" of space that I am looking for. Did the 72 Demon have something different to cool with. Also, it is suppose to have a clutch fan? How the heck is that going to fit. Does anybody on here have a stock 72 Demon A/C car they can compare notes with me on???

..stock rads were not even 2" thick...how thick is your aluminum rad.
i went with a 3 in alum and had to get rid of my clutch fan..it was too long.

..stock rads were not even 2" thick...how thick is your aluminum rad.
i went with a 3 in alum and had to get rid of my clutch fan..it was too long.

You can see in the photos here. The aluminum radiator is only about 2 1/2" thick and is suppose to be a direct replacement. The space you see between the pulley face and the core is only just under 3". Other folks on here say they have 5". How could that be possible? Factory manual says I need a minimum of 3/4" between the blades and the radiator?? That only leaves a fan/clutch unit which is only about 2 1/4" combined? An I missing something here?? These cars just can't shrink. The motor bolts to thd Kframe. Why is this so tight??

Attachments

• IMG_1430_0789.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1431_0790.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 153
is there a recess in the front of that 2 1/2 inch rad ....sending everything back and as suggested motor mounts behind the block ears?

is there a recess in the front of that 2 1/2 inch rad ....sending everything back and as suggested motor mounts behind the block ears?

Radiator front is tight to the support panel. Here is a close up of the motor mounts. these are correct as well.

Attachments

• Demon EngineFrontEnd_0134_edited-1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 119
My 72 Demon 340 with Classic Air and stock radiator has 3 1/2" of clearance. I have a Mopar clutch fan with a stock shroud.

It's tight, but does fit......

From looking at your pics, I'm wondering if you could run a deeper water pump pulley? :scratch:

Attachments

• Demon AC Install June 2012 100.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 118
My 72 Demon 340 with Classic Air and stock radiator has 3 1/2" of clearance. I have a Mopar clutch fan with a stock shroud.

It's tight, but does fit......

From looking at your pics, I'm wondering if you could run a deeper water pump pulley? :scratch:

My problem with pulleys began with the Edelbrock heads which project out front an addition inch over the stock. So the new aftermatket compressor and brackets including alternator and power steering had to be played with and shimmed. The pulley I have is real close and won't move in either direction. I think I am just going to try a aluminum spectra 18" fan and see how it cools with no shroud and then I guess I will have to go from there depending on the results? But all I got for space is maybe an eighth under 3 inches. Might be the aluminum radiator is about 2 3/4" thich and I think your stock one is 2 1/4" thick. There is the 1/2" extra you have. Make sense?

-
Back