72 Dart 3-speed manual

-

somewhereinthecity

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 1972 Dodge Dart with a slant six and three on the column. Which manual would typically be used in this car -- A230? Does anyone know of any examples of an A903 being used in a Dart that late?

Thanks,

Jeff in Baltimore

If you wanted to make it a 4 speed OD, The 833 4 speed overdrive was used in the later 73-76 Darts and can be used in the earlier ones as well. I have most of the parts to do the conversion except for the trans which is the same on slant six or v8 cars. I'll also be bringing it to Carlisle if it doesn't sell or I can deliver to Carlisle if you buy it on Ebay.
Mopar #3743643-1 Dodge Plyymouth 4 Speed OD Bellhousing, Flywheel, Clutch etc | eBay

The A230 is strong looking, heavy. The small 3 speed is real small. Take a picture if unsure. A lot of us can tell by looking. Also go to the Brewers Performance site. They have pictures of A230 parts.

The A230 is strong looking, heavy. The small 3 speed is real small. Take a picture if unsure. A lot of us can tell by looking. Also go to the Brewers Performance site. They have pictures of A230 parts.

I am able to shift into first before the car has come to a full stop, so it almost has to be an A230. The A903 would probably be clashing like crazy if I did that. But I will take a pic tomorrow and post it. Thanks!!

If you wanted to make it a 4 speed OD, The 833 4 speed overdrive was used in the later 73-76 Darts and can be used in the earlier ones as well. I have most of the parts to do the conversion except for the trans which is the same on slant six or v8 cars. I'll also be bringing it to Carlisle if it doesn't sell or I can deliver to Carlisle if you buy it on Ebay.
Mopar #3743643-1 Dodge Plyymouth 4 Speed OD Bellhousing, Flywheel, Clutch etc | eBay
That sounds neat, but I want to keep this car 100% as-built, including the column shift setup. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone interested in that four-speed set-up -- if this car had a 318, I'd be thinking about it!!

If the transmission has a top plate on it, it is the smaller unit. If it looks just like an 833, it is an A230.

There's also an A250, which is the heavier-duty non-synchro low gear trans normally found in trucks and vans. It was factory-original in my '73 Valiant slant six.Several people here tried to insist they never put those in cars until I provided a picture of the pad on the passenger side which clearly showed the PK number, the 10,000 day date and the matching partial vin.

If it's got synchronized low gear consider yourself lucky because having to stop to get low gear is about 90% less fun than the Internet would have you believe. The PK number tells you the application and the 10,000 day date, which is 4 numbers together, is decoded via Google to tell you what day it was produced.

BTW, replacing the bushings in the linkages underhood helps avoid hang-ups. Remember...go in an H pattern. Don't try going diagonally between low and second or it'll hang up.

-
Back