72 Dart Car Stance Help

-

Cruzin

Reaction score
Hey all, I have read alot of the threads regarding ride height and so fourth. However, could you all take a look at this pic of my newly aquired dart and let me know what your thoughts are. I know the front shocks are new, but the rear leafs are original. It looks to me the front end is a bit too tall. I guess with 14" wheels on, it probably is somewhat correct for the front. But I am pretty sure the back will look alot better with a set of Mancini XHD springs under it. All help is always appreciated. Thanks to all and Happy Memorial Day to all.

Attachments

• 100_4303.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 403
I would do the XHD Springs and drop the front end about an inch or so to where there is a 1/2 inch between tire and wheel arch

Then that will give you some rake

This is my 74 Swinger with worn factory rear springs and /6 torsion bars
I like the stance but am gonna go with a bigger torsion bar and better springs and hopefully this thing will handle quite well

Note that the rear is sittin on a slight slope and makes it look even higher in the rear and I have 215-60-15 all way around

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 338
I have ESPO "stock" 340 leaf springs on my car. Install them and drop the front to 1/4" gap above the top of the tire (they will tuck in) and you'll be good.

These cars look much better dropped just slightly in the front. Remember that adjusting the T-bars effects the alignment.

My car does have /6 right now. Can you adjust the front end down a bit by adjusting the nut in the middle of the lower control arms? If I lower it, I suppose an alignment will be at hand. Also, while I am in here, can anyone point me in the right direction for a full front end kit. Bushings, ball joints, etc. I know the front end is all original. So I am going to convert to disk. I figured while everything was apart, i would try and cover everything. Thanks

Yes, loosening the nut in the middle of the LCAs will lower the car.

I think I would just buy all the individual components from Rock Auto...all MOOG brand. If you are converting to disk brakes with different knuckles you might need different parts that aren't covered in an original style kit.

Well don't laugh, but I kind of was looking at the scarebird conversion because of the original ralleys and new tires on it. Not trying to be cheap but I like the 14" ralleys. I really could use the extra money that would be spent on a new set of 15" tires and wheels to help get a 318 for it. One thing at a time.

Looks like about two full turns out on the adjusters outta do it.
Then the new springs won't be quite as much of an emergency. :)

I just recently did my entire front end with all new Just Suspension poly bushings and love the new firm solid feel it has now, and the poly stuff was cheaper than original rubber stuff in most cases.
I'm also runing 15's but notice the tire clearances and the slight rake to it.

As far as the alignment, measure across the front of the tires from the same spot on each tire (like the edge of a specific section of the tread) to the same area on the other tire and if that distance changes you can just reset to that same distance after you drop it down.
Also it's a good idea to roll the car a little afer each adjustment of the torsion bars so the car settles, then adjust a little more if needed.
If you change it all at once without rolling the car you could find that it settled way more after you drive it and have to mess with it again.

Attachments

• dart.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 295
My friend's car has the Scarebird brakes for the 9" drum knuckles on a 72 Dart. He said it works pretty good (he ran the car at the ohio mile and it stopped from 122mph without issue)...not the best setup in the world, but then again you can't get much rubber on the 14" rallyes anyway to take advantage of better stuff.

Actually his car is a lot like yours overall....except it has a turbo slant six that runs on propane.

I just recently did my entire front end with all new Just Suspension poly bushings and love the new firm solid feel it has now, and the poly stuff was cheaper than original rubber stuff in most cases.
I'm also runing 15's but notice the tire clearances and the slight rake to it.

The name of the place you ordered the poly kit is called "Just Suspension"?

The name of the place you ordered the poly kit is called "Just Suspension"?

I got them through Jegs.com
Let me know when you get started replacing the lower control arm bushings.
I found a way to do that really easy when you are going to be replacing with poly.
Also with the poly replacements you don't take the steel sleeve out of the control arm. (makes it a breeze) unlike factory rubber bushings where you have to get the steel sleeve out too.

I was figuring it out on the first side.
The second side took me about 30 min. :)

Trail, forgive my ignorance. You got your whole front end kit through Jegs except for the lower control arm poly bushings (which you got from Just Supension)? I want to replace all the bushings in the front end. I just wanted to follow your lead on this to be sure what I need and from where. Thanks man.

Man that car is awesome. Same year and color of my first car! I sold mine 2 years ago, never finished it. Here is a pic of my stance, 340 t-bars and 205/70-14 in the front, and mp super stock springs with 235/60-15 in the back.

dart1-1.jpg

Trail, forgive my ignorance. You got your whole front end kit through Jegs except for the lower control arm poly bushings (which you got from Just Supension)? I want to replace all the bushings in the front end. I just wanted to follow your lead on this to be sure what I need and from where. Thanks man.

No worries man, glad to help as I can.
jegs.com carries all the parts needed, but they are Energy Suspension parts. (shipping is even longer because they have to get them sent)
It wasn't a kit.
I ordered all of them separatly.
The only thing I didn't get in poly was the upper control arm bushings, because I got the offset bushings in order to be able to increase the camber for better straight line stability.
I couldn't find offset bushings in poly. (kind of annoying)

I do hear a lot more of the road noises now, but it was worth the end results.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

IMO it looks pretty good like it is. If anything I would just lower the front a tad. I personally don't care for the stinkbug look.. But again just my opinion...

IMO it looks pretty good like it is. If anything I would just lower the front a tad. I personally don't care for the stinkbug look.. But again just my opinion...

That's true, I don't like them way up there either.
Just a bit forward so it straightens up when you jump on it.:D

Thanks for all the help guys. The car is the original color. However, I am thinking on repainting it in fine metallic light marina blue. I am contemplating on removing the vinyl top as I have heard about moisture getting under it and causing problems. That is awhile down the road, as I need all mechanicals setup first. I will call on you guys once i get started. Front end and rear springs are first though. Thnaks again for all the help.

-
Back