'72 Dart Headliner

-

dpstark2

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a late production '72 Dart (7/72) that has some '73+ stuff in it. As best I can tell, it was not molested at any point. However, it has a beaten down cardboard headliner in it- '73+ style. I believe it to be original as what was behind it looked original.

I am ready to put a headliner back in the car. I can't find anyone listing a '72 Dart cardboard headliner. Jim's Autoparts, which I would prefer _not_ to order from due to past experience, lists one for '73-75. Does anyone know if the '73-75 headliner is correct for this application? Does anyone know where else to get one from?

The cardboard liners are also quite expensive and difficult to ship. Is it possible to convert to the bow type? Does that make any sense?

Thanks-

Thanks! I think the replacements are ABS plastic. The one that came out of the car is cardboard or foam backed vinyl or something... it's in storage and I don't remember what it was exactly. I'm curious if anyone has dealt with this and knows for sure as it's quite expensive to get and I wouldn't want to have to resell or ship it back.

I have a 72 dart that came equipeed with a cardboard headliner. I chose to replace it with the ABS plastic one that comes covered with a foam backed vinyl. Yes they are a little expensive. Are they difficult to install, for me YES! I started the installation on mine by getting the dome light installed first to hold it up and with some extra hands holding it up in the back. I went to the front and attempted to install my sunvisors. Well the cut outs for the sunvisors were not large enough nor line up properly. I pulled it down, elarged the openings, and tried it again. This was repeated several times till finally I installed the screws some through the cutouts and some through the abs plastic. Next I went to the back and installed the metal trim. Well there are small areas along the end of the headliner where it meets the back glass that had areas made into the mold that allowed for the screws that hold the metal trim to line up properly. Well they no longer did since apparently my sunvisors didn't line up just right (probably my mistake but i would start there first and work my way to the front. Also the metal trim that clips over the door opening and run to the rear 1/4 windows helps hold the cardboard headliner well now it will not hold the ABS plastic. It is much thicker so my new headliner actually cover the edge of this metal trim. I didn't intend to use factory seat belts or the two clips/brackets for the shoulder belt so the belt attachement for the shoulder portion would normally run through the headliner and help hold it in place. Since I am not using factory belts I installed the coat hangers to help hold up the headliner. It's nice but I sure wish my cardboard headliner was salvagable or someone made a true reproduction. If you need further details PM me.

-
Back