72 Dart ran rough then died, alternator?

-

jhaas63

Reaction score
I was driving my Dart home today and just bought it. Its got a 318.

Here is some background on it...

The previous owner told me that he thought it has a draw on the battery. Recently he would find the battery dead and thought there was a draw on the battery but bought a new battery anyways. He told me that it will only go dead if it sits for about two weeks after not being ran.

Anyways, I leave his house, drive about 10 minutes and it kind of seemed like it was running out of gas. It seemed like the motor was cutting out. I got to a gas station and the car shut off. I pushed it to the pump and topped off the tank at 7 gallons, so it wasnt empty. I tried starting it again, and it was barely turning over, kind of like a car with a dead battery.

I ended up jumping it and it started briefly, ran for about 10 seconds and shut off again even with the battery cables still connected. The motor also making a clicking noise.

I am thinking the alternator is a good place to start. I am going to have it tested. Any other thoughts?

I fixed it. It was the ballast resistor. A $3 part and took 25 seconds to change.

For the future if anyone were to look up this thread...if you are having voltage problems, cannot solve a draw or are wondering why you are finding the battery dead...a $3 part is a good start.

-
Back