72 Dart Swinger in junk yard, made an offer on it(Lots of pictures)

-

Sixpack70

Reaction score
Today while looking for some parts for my wife's Jeep, I found a 72 Dart Swinger. It is a slant six car and seems to be fairly solid. I looked under the car and don't see any floor pan or frame rail rot. The car is too complete and in good condition to go to the scrapper so I made an offer. Not sure if they will take it but if so, I'd be saving an A body from becoming a toaster. The quarters were repaired, poorly. Here are the pictures of it.

2012-11-16_15-13-05_759.jpg

2012-11-16_15-14-21_143.jpg

2012-11-16_15-14-25_762.jpg

2012-11-16_15-13-53_439.jpg

2012-11-16_15-13-48_263.jpg

2012-11-16_15-13-19_795.jpg

2012-11-16_15-13-30_405.jpg

2012-11-16_15-14-51_597.jpg

2012-11-16_15-16-09_952.jpg

2012-11-16_15-17-19_51.jpg

2012-11-16_15-21-15_641.jpg

2012-11-16_15-16-13_87.jpg

2012-11-16_15-16-04_721.jpg

2012-11-16_15-15-35_572.jpg

2012-11-16_15-15-18_70.jpg

2012-11-16_15-15-09_307.jpg

There were two other guys who walked over to it while I was climbing all over it. We all looked the car over and we couldn't believe the car was in the junkyard. It really is too nice to be there. I thought when I first saw it that it was going to be a rusty pile from New England full of salty rust. The lady in the office said why does everyone want that damn car, it's just a Dart. I said, that is exactly why!

If I do end up with the car I am thinking I'll just do the basics and use it as a daily driver. It would get better mileage than my truck and an old car is so much more fun to drive. I have my other projects to keep my busy with major work or restoration.

And the sad thing is, some guy was probably trying to sell it for $1000-1500, and got nothing but lowball offers and gave up and scrapped it.

And the sad thing is, some guy was probably trying to sell it for $1000-1500, and got nothing but lowball offers and gave up and scrapped it.

been there
i had a 95 mitsubishi mirage once
all i wanted was 600 bucks to get it out off my driveway

i got so sick of not selling it i decided to sell it in parts...cleared over 2K on it
best part of it was a kid who came up from indiana to buy the tranny
while we loaded up the tranny i asked him if his had gone out
he replied he was converting his auto to a stickshift and needed the tranny for that

i handed him a ratched and said, you need 150 bucks more worth of parts, you need the tunnel, the shifter, the pedal assembly and the brake booster :cheers:

that was a good sale

There was a 73 Mustang Mach 1 for sale locally for months I drove by about twice a week. Price started at 3000 on craigslist. The car said 2500 when I actually checked it out. Underside was really nice. The quarters, fenders, roof and tail panel were rusted. I'm sure it never sold, or if it did it went for real cheap.

I went back today (finally) and asked about the car. They said they won't sell the whole car now only parts. Looks like the car is on death row. Kind of sucks.

Thats how it goes around here as well. I wanted a 66 at the yard. They told me the only way I could buy it is to take it out in pieces.

most yards nowadays don't want to sell whole cars. usually they deactivate the title/VIN right away with the state DMV. They make more in crushing and ferrous scrapping. Did buy a fairly complete 70 cutlass post coupe roller in albuquerque three and a half years ago for $250 - roughly scrap value. It netted over $1500 in total sales - due to its clean underside and post status. Next time i tried to buy a car from them they wanted three times as much.

Heck, if you could pick the nose up cheap you can slap it on an ugly 73-76 dart.

Hey I resent that...... :D....jk. If I had a job or a few bucks I'd run over there and get it. Might go anyway and see what they want for it. If I'm not mistaken I wouldn't have to change the fenders right.

Hey I resent that...... :D....jk. If I had a job or a few bucks I'd run over there and get it. Might go anyway and see what they want for it. If I'm not mistaken I wouldn't have to change the fenders right.

Yes, you need the fenders too, they are unique to the front end as they have the bolt on pot metal front corners. Ask the lady how much to buy all the parts.....

See how much they would want for the interior. Or at least part of it. From the pics, it looks really nice. It'd be a shame to leave the seats, but maybe they'd let it go cheaper without the seats. Anyway, you could sell it all together locally, or part it out.

If you do get it, I'd be interested in that gauge cluster if you can get it out clean and if it's as nice as it looks in that one pic. And also maybe the front/rear door panels.

None of that stuff has much metal in it, so maybe they wouldn't want much for it.

Get the taillights and grille too, and if it's decent, the trim along the hood and trunk lid/extensions. (And, actually, all the woodgrain panel on the dash... the radio bezel and glovebox door). All that stuff is absolutely worth grabbing unless they want stupid money for it.

I guess what I'm saying is there's some parts on that thing more useful than others... would be nice to get as much of that stuff off the car as you can before they kill the car. They stopped making all that stuff 40 years ago. Don't let those good parts go to the crusher.

Get the yards email address. Lets flood it with requests to let him save that. Thats a nice shape deserves to be saved.

I would ask how much for the car & tell them they can keep the shell when you are done & strip it down to an upper cowl :). I'm sure someone out there can use the fire wall & roof.

See how much they would want for the interior. Or at least part of it. From the pics, it looks really nice. It'd be a shame to leave the seats, but maybe they'd let it go cheaper without the seats. Anyway, you could sell it all together locally, or part it out.

If you do get it, I'd be interested in that gauge cluster if you can get it out clean and if it's as nice as it looks in that one pic. And also maybe the front/rear door panels.

None of that stuff has much metal in it, so maybe they wouldn't want much for it.

Get the taillights and grille too, and if it's decent, the trim along the hood and trunk lid/extensions. (And, actually, all the woodgrain panel on the dash... the radio bezel and glovebox door). All that stuff is absolutely worth grabbing unless they want stupid money for it.

I guess what I'm saying is there's some parts on that thing more useful than others... would be nice to get as much of that stuff off the car as you can before they kill the car. They stopped making all that stuff 40 years ago. Don't let those good parts go to the crusher.

Get the yards email address. Lets flood it with requests to let him save that. Thats a nice shape deserves to be saved.
I don't know what good prices for the parts would be. Right now I have so little $ that we are not even having a christmas. (think the son and I are going to a homless shelter to serve dinners to the people who really have nothing) Both our daily drivers need some work that has to come first. I'd love to be able to go strip it of all the good parts just so anyone here could get something they might need. I may take a ride over there on moday and inquire on some prices. It is a little dinky yard that probably dosen't even have an email address.

Too bad you could not strip afew parts for resale to make afew dollars Plum crazy to help you get by for a while.

-
Back