72 Dart

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 72 Dart with a 318, as far as I know everything is stock. My question is, is there a way to tell (maybe by the year) as to what trans mission and rear diff my car has by looking at it? Thanks for helping out this Mopar newb

should be a 904 if you jack your rear end up and spin the back tire and both rotate then you have a posi if not its just a stock rear should be an 8 1/4 I am sure people with more 1970-1972 know how will chime in

should be a 904 if you jack your rear end up and spin the back tire and both rotate then you have a posi if not its just a stock rear should be an 8 1/4 I am sure people with more 1970-1972 know how will chime in

thanks for the response! whats the difference between the two transmissions? Any advantages disadvantages one way or another?

904's are lighter and CAN be built with a MORE money 727 is heavier and near bullet proof bust cost less to build then a 904

Mopardrt, is there a sure fire way to check out the transmission? Last thing, was the TorqueFlite for both the 904 and the 727? When I replaced the trans pan gasket all i asked for was a gasket for a TorqueFlite, so are they universal on the gaskets?

once again thanks guys

trans%20pans%20difference.jpg

axle.jpg

thanks abodyjoe, how much HP can the 904 trans and the smaller rear end take before needing to be built for more HP?

thanks abodyjoe, how much HP can the 904 trans and the smaller rear end take before needing to be built for more HP?

if its a 7 1/4 then not much. 8 1/4 better and 8 3/4 best ( well other then a 9" or dana...

a properly built 904 ( nothing exotic) it will hold up quite well.

All the early A body Hipo 273 were 4 spd OR 904 with 7.25s. They held up due to the light car weight and sh!tty tires of the time. Hard to hook 1965 street tires!

if its a 7 1/4 then not much. 8 1/4 better and 8 3/4 best ( well other then a 9" or dana...

a properly built 904 ( nothing exotic) it will hold up quite well.

thanks, guess I should keep an eye out on craigslist then. Just to throw it out there, Im hoping to make almost 400 hp with the right build so had to ask about the rear end

-
Back