72 demon 340 resto

-
Watching this thread gives me the inspiration but not much motivation due to lack of funds for now:-D. Anyway evil340 keep the updates coming,it's looking great!

John

Evil 340: The quality of you work is top notch. You definitely have a gift.
I am presently restoring a 71 Demon. It will be GY3. Hope to be painted soon.

Wilson
Ontario Canada.

Attachments

• GY3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,339
  • 100_3540.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,332
  • 100_3547.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,337
thanks john. i wish i had some more of that green stuff as well.

gy3 sounds good. the one i m working on was originally gy4. i don t think i can bring myself to make it that color again though. i ve already got one yellow one. did you start a resto thread yet? i d like to follow that one! good luck

finally got the driver s side in primer. i gotta fix a couple dings in the roof and prime that, the decklid, the hood, and tail panel. then i get to block the whole thing again, reprime, and hopefully start paintin.

Attachments

• 100_2354.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,281
finally got the roof, hood, scoop, decklid, and tail panel in primer. i ve got the passenger side blocked and ready to reprime. i can t feel my fingertips...lol. i hate sanding.

the whole shell is blocked, re-primed, and ready for final block and paint. it s coming out nice. i have just a little bit of work to do in the door jambs, and the beast is ready for paint. did i mention. i hate sanding. lol.
i am kinda embarrassed of my garage. it looks like a tool-dust-and dirt bomb went off in there all at once. lol. what a pig i am. i hate cleaning, so i haven t cleaned it since i started the body work. makes sense right?

heres progress pics. seems like the only difference in pics is the growth of the dust and trash. lol

Attachments

• 100_2368.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 100_2370.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,293
evil 340, like I said when I subscribed back in Feb this year - I wish I had your garage space.

I noticed in one post you mentioned wishing the rotisserie would allow the car to completely turn 360* It's probably too late in your build and maybe you've already considered this and it wouldn't work but here goes, at the swivel point can the part that attaches to the car be flipped upside down and ran in thru the top of the swivel? Or would that be too high/place too much stress on the stand?

Great build!

The car is looking good man. Sanding sucks but its were the magic happens. :headbang:

yeah joe mc. it could be flipped, but i think it would be too high. i think it would be easier to just weld a sleeve in to raise the pivot up higher., but pretty soon. i won t need the rotisserie anymore. once the shell is painted top to bottom......she s coming down.
thanks dbphemi. i hope to start painting soon.

yeah joe mc. it could be flipped, but i think it would be too high. i think it would be easier to just weld a sleeve in to raise the pivot up higher., but pretty soon. i won t need the rotisserie anymore. once the shell is painted top to bottom......she s coming down.
thanks dbphemi. i hope to start painting soon.

Yeah, 220-221 whatever it takes = 1000 ways to skin a cat, etc.

Ah, you mention "pretty soon I won't need the rotisserie anymore" Well since you won't be needing it . . . . . :wink:

i hear ya. i m tradin the rotisserie to my engine guy. but if for whatever reason it doesn t go away....i ll have it listed, cause i don t want it takin up space.
thanks for the suggestions joemc. i appreciate it.

Really looking great! You're doing an awesome job on it and it's gonna be beautiful when done. Hell, it looks beautiful now :)

Grant

thanks a lot grant. positive encouragement makes my fingertips feel better. after sanding them off. lol. thanks again.

Evil, You should break it down and stow it for future use. Yeah, "you'll never need it again . . ." LOL

well i ve been kinda busy lately, but i took my grille to work with me yesterday to work on in my free time. i thought this grille was gonna be junk at first glance. after i cleaned it up.....i realized it is by far the nicest grille i ve ever had. it had ZERO cracks, all the tabs, and absolutely NO imperfections. i stripped the original paint off, scuffed it, cleaned it and painted it. i used bulldog adhesion promoter, diamont basecoats of argent and TX9 black. i dont wanna toot my own horn, but this is gonna be one of the nicest 72 gilles on the planet. i m super excited about it. if anybody out there wants their grille restored.....let me know. i ll post some pics as soon as i bring it home. the clear was still drying when i left. i m serious too....if anybody needs their grille restored...p.m. me

grille pics

Attachments

• 100_2387.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,089
  • 100_2388.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,118
here s a couple pics of the control arms, and the rearend parts ready to assemble. took me awhile to get the right look for the lowers. turned out good though. i just figured i d let everyone know that POR-15 is awesome. the control arms i got from another member were blasted and painted with por-15 gloss black. i wanted to go for a natural look, so i figured i d throw them in the blast cabinet and strip em down to bare metal again. WRONG. i used fresh glass bead and high pressure, and it was damn near indestructable. it would have taken me all day to completely strip them. i ve been using POR-15 for a long time, i just never had to strip it off. WOW. no wonder my hands are black for a couple weeks when i get it on me. LOL. i ended up sand blasting them just to etch them well enough for the silver POR-15 to bond. turned out good.
anyway. now i m on to the bottom of the car again. i ve got most of the first coats of primer blocked down and the small pits filled. i hate sanding.lol probably won t hear from me for awhile. lol

The finish you achieved on the lower control arms is awesome! How did you get that final appearance? What products did you use? I have never sprayed POR-15 before. Any tips? Thanks. L8r

Jim

i made sure the metal was really clean and sprayed 2 coats of por-15 silver on them. you usually have to wait about an hour between coats. it sprays nice. i use an old spray gun i got from walmart. it s a mini gun. it comes in a kit with a bigger gun. the larger gun works awesome for primer. the next day when it is dry.....i mask the top part of the arms off and scuff them with a red scotch brite. then i mix up some urethane clear and tint it with brownish red base coat. i put 3 coats on them. and ............presto.
i have a set for sale if you re interested.

Evil,
Very creative!!! They have the appearance of having been dipped, with some runs and everything. Nice work.

On a sowewhat related note, your rotisserie is a similar design to mine. I am in the process of mounting my Dart to the spinner. I have it as high as I can get it with my jack and have pulled the rear axle and springs off. Still need to get the front suspension off (leaving everything attached to the K-member). How did you lift your Demon body to get it in position on the rotiss? I am planning to use my engine hoist to lift the body to rotating height and to balance it for turning. Any tips you can offer? L8r

Jim

-
Back