72 Demon Bench seats

-

monoptn

Mopar Aficianado
Reaction score
I was browsing around for some decent seat hinge covers for my 72 Demon. My demon was built and sold in 71, it's a 72 model though. It has the smaller hinge covers, see attached. Shouldn't it have the longer, curved covers? All the references I find show the small one from 73-76 and the curved one from 70-72.

This is a one owner car, and they assure me the seat and hinge covers are original. What's up here?

70-72.jpg

73-76.jpg

have the seats been recovered? if they have the original ones were probably broken or damaged. they probably replaced them with the smaller ones. the original owner may not have ever noticed it ever before. that is my guess

They are so old and tattered, they've almost got to be original. The owner was adamant that they had not been replaced. The seats have been recovered, but it was recently.

Are the hinge covers interchangeable? If I get the curved type will they fit or will I have to go back with the "incorrect" hinges.

as far as them being interchangable, i couldn't say for sure. the l shaped covers use 2 screws to attach them to the seats hing. if there are 2 screw holes there and they look in the correct place. then i would try the l shape brackets. if it dosen't line up then use the ones that were on it before. you can always go to a yard and get some to try first.

For what it's worth - I have the angled covers and my car, supposedly a 73.

Does your seat have the release lever that sticks through the slot. My 72 Swinger has the original seat with the hinge cover like in the right photo.

Yes, the release pokes through the slots. I've gotta think they are correct. Maybe the folks selling them on ebay have them reversed...

FWIW, my '73 Duster had the type on the right. It had the deluxe bench seat with the fold-down center arm rest.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

-
Back