72 Demon hood stripes

-

John Morrow

Mopars and Harleys
Reaction score
My hood has always had just the large blacked out part only, (since being restored ) its been painted several times. I know the shape has been changed from factory shape. I was thinking about putting the three little stripes back on but I dont know how to get the correct shape of the large painted part. Is there a templet I can get somwhere?
2007%20Pumkin%20Run%20John%20M%201.JPG

is this a stupid question?

Not at all !!! The only stupid question is the one you don't ask...

I don't have an answer for you, but if they don't make a template, I'm sure one of the members here with a Demon would be happy to give you measurements.

Good luck (and nice Demon!)

Kenny

i am not sure about a template. i would think it is a matter of someone getting you a set of stripes to copy and make a template. on a side note were you at the mopar nats in o6? if so i spoke with you while my wife and i were there. i think i took a pic of your car as well....

I was at the nats in 06, I skipped this year ( first time in about 12 years ) I didnt think I would miss it ......but I did. Talking to all the people and hearing there story's on there cars and just hanging out with other Mopar Nuts is what I missed the most.
I didnt think about the small stripes being formed to the shape I need, I just thought they would be straight and I would have to follow the large painted area.
I guess when I get ready to do the change Ill just order them and see. THANKS. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i thought i remembered that demon. you were cleaning off the hood early sat morning and my wife and i stopped and talked to you. i do have a picture i will have to dig up. i remembered the little pitchfork you used on your antenna. i stole that for myself! sorry...small world.

06 budds creek.jpg

7demon2 ... awsome car, ya it thought the pitch fork thing was cool, even have a demon tail to hang out of the trunk when you shut it. Its funny the only time to find Demon stuff is Valintine's day, with the exception of the pitch fork on Holloween. Looking at your car and Crazy Dave's car I can guarantee I have those pic's too.
Thanks for the Pic yellowdartdave after years of looking at my hood it will be strange to change it, but i would like to get it back to being correct. Its only looked like this for 20 yrs now.. LOL

i think you need a stripe kit to fix it. yours narrows in a little to much to a point. look at the gun metal grey hood around the scoop. the black flares out alot fatter before the smaller stripes begin to fade out around it. yours seems much to narrow and close to the scoop to me......

7demon2 ....Ya, looks like a stripe kit is the way to start over on the hood, it was like that when l bought the car. The paint wasnt all that great and they had painted the side stripes on so I had the car repainted and correct side stripes put on. I guess I was just used to the hood the way it was so I left it, but now..... 5yrs later, I want a change it to the way it should be.

You car looks great, it make me think about ordering new interior for mine, I like the white interior, mine is about 17 to 20 yrs old and dull, yours just POPs"s out as soon as you see the car. Have to wait for the $$$$$ though.

7demon2 ....Ya, looks like a stripe kit is the way to start over on the hood, it was like that when l bought the car. The paint wasnt all that great and they had painted the side stripes on so I had the car repainted and correct side stripes put on. I guess I was just used to the hood the way it was so I left it, but now..... 5yrs later, I want a change it to the way it should be.

You car looks great, it make me think about ordering new interior for mine, I like the white interior, mine is about 17 to 20 yrs old and dull, yours just POPs"s out as soon as you see the car. Have to wait for the $$$$$ though.

that was a big change for me for sure. my original interior was pretty tired and the door panels had lost all of the chrome striping through it. when i replaced it it made a big difference. the seats match exactly now as well. legendary also has the door arm rests as well now in white. those took for ever to get. interior is expensive but worth it.....

this doesnt relate to your stripes but could you tell me what kind of hood you have on your demon cause i was thinking about putting one on my car.

thanks craig

Are you talking about the scoop? The hood is just a factory dart hood. (with factory scoop.) You can get the scoop aftermarket, not sure who has the best ones..... but the folks on this site can tell you.

I put 72 hood stripes on my 71. Bought the outside stripes and just kinda guessed on placement. Center section is painted on. Decided to clearcoat in gloss because its a pain to wax around matte finish.

Picture 1825.jpg

Looks like the AAR company has the best ones according to some folks on this site. There are some very cool Dusters on this site with the scoop on there hoods.

Ya the flat black is a pain....... found out that just plain water in a squirt bottle works the best, but thinking about the gloss black myself when I redo the hood

sorry couldnt get on yesterday and yea i mean the scoops cause i like the look of them and i think it would look pretty good on my car with the color i want.

Hey 72,
Nice car, what if you bought flat black pinstripe, a roll of 1/4" 1/8" and 1/16" and followed the shape. They come is 40' rolls. It wouldn't be painted on but easily removed??? If you wanted it painted, get some fine line tape, different widths, and do the same. A trick I use to get the gap even is tape off 3 widths of tape, pull the center to get your stripe.

74 Dusterkid ya your car will look good with that scoop, all Duster, Demons and Darts and a few others look good with it, but thats just my thoughts. I even saw one on a Monte Carlo. I wanted to have a talk with that guy. LOL
Have fun with your car, looks like your off to a good start. keep us posted

-
Back