72 Demon new Proportioning valve/Dist block leaking

-

gpmp1991

Reaction score
Hello all,
Bought a brand new proportioning valve for my 72 demon from Inline tube. Cannot get it to stop leaking. Contacted inline tube who sent me a new one after much discussion. Installed that one per their instructions.Will not stop leaking.
Anybody had this issue? Maybe replace the copper washer?
Or do I find a good used Mopar part?
Not easy taking that valve on and off on a freshly restored car.

Thanks for any input,
Greg

If you have your original block, rebuild it and send Inline's POS back.

take the washer off and annealing the copper washer? Get it cherry red and drop it in cold water? Copper work hardens and becomes difficult to conform to other surfaces. The annealing restores the softness long enough to tighten it down.

Wi
take the washer off and annealing the copper washer? Get it cherry red and drop it in cold water? Copper work hardens and becomes difficult to conform to other surfaces. The annealing restores the softness long enough to tighten it down.
Will give it a try. Don't have anything to lose now. THANKS

I think annealing (softening)occurs when you let i cool down slowly. Quenching it, hardens it?

As for cooling, it's not the same as carbon steel. You can either let the copper air cool down to room temperature, or drop it into cold water - either way, it will be dead soft, and ideal for re-use. I prefer dropping into cold water, as that knocks off any surface scale from the heating process. In fact, it might even be better than new. Punching washers out of sheet copper tends to work harden them round the cut, which is why I always anneal new copper washers and gaskets before use.

Have you pulled apart the old unit and tried that washer?

-
Back