72 Demon now underway

-
Looks nice, did you every get the tranny hump to fit?

Looks nice, did you every get the tranny hump to fit?

Sireland, tunnel mods on hold until I install the motor, tranny, and Alterktion and everything is in place. Then I'll take the removed floor section, split it into two halves on the trans centerline and tack them back in place on the sides. Then I will try to "close the book", working the halves back to their original position cutting as I go to get to the minimum interference area, and weld the seams back up. Then I'll fashion some sort of new cover piece with box bends. This Tremec kit uses an inline shifter so the location isn't stock and you don't need the tunnel hump.

Here are a couple updates of the rear back under the car; fresh from overhaul with new Richmond 3.55 street gears, a new Nitro sure grip posi, Moser axles and Wilwood disc brackets

Attachments

• Demon rear 4 link 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 467
  • Demon rear 4 link 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 459
Followers of this thread - thanks for your interest and patience. We will post some more completion pics as we near getting it on the road.

Attachments

• Demon smile.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 351
  • yellow 2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 328
I know its a lot of hard work but its worth it when you drive down the road and get all those thumbs up!

Thanks to all who have appreciated on the progress. Following posts will give a glimpse into more of the finished product.

We got slowed down by what can only be described as a demon in the engine build. It is not our first setback, having already had a block that was supposedly fulled checked - get machined, blueprinted and assembled as a short block at a now defunct LMS before finding the tower that supports the china wall on the LA block was cracked through when we went to install the heads. That was back in 2009-10.

When we got the new block (a 76 police 360 hi-nod), we decided to also give the top end a little massage and had the 915 iron heads (Aerohead prepped) ported to Hughes Stage 1 specs with bowl clean up and port match to the RPMAG intake, and did a cam change from the Comp in the other short block to a Hughes hydraulic roller (roughly .560 x 240 @.050). The top end already had Hughes 1.6 rockers and we proceeded to set it all up with for proper rocker geometry with custom Smith Bros pushrods. Then the motor sat for a couple years while the electrical, chassis, and other stuff went on.

When we went to start it and do the cam break-in after the normal burn off and smoking we continued to get vapor and sweet anti freeze smell from the exhaust.

After shut down, the attempt to start the next day confirmed our nightmare, the motor was locked up solid with water.

So another teardown of the motor in the car. Second pic shows what we found up top. First pic is the head on that side after pressure test in LMS hydro tank. Staining around the porous area was one of the culprits.

It has been resolved and the motor will go back together with some new heads - will post the details when we bolt it back together.

Attachments

• LA port #4 detail1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 250
  • LA port #6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 274
Here is how the arse end came out with the custom tank. We had it fabbed to stock but WITHOUT the spare seat area. This thing by my rough calcs is around 30 gal. Power Tour?

Attachments

• Fuel plumbing 1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 296
We really put a lot into getting this exhaust to work. Started on it a couple years ago and got stopped by clearance trying to work cutouts into the area forward of the X pipe. Its pretty busy in there on an A body and while anything is possible, it was going to be a time sink. Caused a suspension of exhaust work for about 18 months to rethink things.
Came back with new energy early this summer and the cutouts were cut out of the forward header flanges.

Three little directional jogs with the help the the bandsaw, 8" belt sander, and a few hours of TIG time and everything from the TTI headers to the the X pipe was in. I TIG'd in a bung for the O2 Bosch sensor on the passenger side too.

The mufflers are sweet. We ordered Spintech 3" round in, 2.5 oval out, same end reverse flow cans in their street sportsman, 304 stainless. The layout called for a 140 deg sweep bend to an exit at the rocker just in front of the rear tires a la the AAR/TAs.

The hangars took a lot of fabrication too but with the mufflers basically a bare can back there and wanting to use modern isolators instead of the TTI slabs, just had to do the work. Proper TIG on stainless is not a casual project either.

Attachments

• Spintech hanger Demon 1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 276
These are sweet. FABO find. Worth the hassle to get everything mocked up - aluminum tank filler in 2" tubing, stock filler pipe (cut down), marine 2" ID rigid fuel pipe.

Attachments

• Flip cap 1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 291
your demon is looking great. happy to see progress on it. question. what kind of wheels and rims you have on it? any chance we can see some side shots of the car?

The wheels are Rushforth Design. After we decided on size, offset, and finish; he builds you a custom wheel. Only issue we had is he uses a lot of contract shops ie CNC cutting the centers, hoops, weld, and powder coat which is fine but it is a low volume supply chain and takes time. In a multi-year build like this it isnt a big deal, but it tooks several months to get the finished product.

Attachments

• Demon progress update 3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 234
  • Demon progress update 1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 229
We are kinda nuts around here about Mopar electrical. Probably because for all of Ma Mopar's great engineering, it was probably the least well engineered system on the vehicles, particularly when we are looking at it 50 years after the fact. Actually, its more than 50 years after the fact because the Packard 56 spade terminal had been around 16 years when the 1972's were built.

Anyway we wired the Demon from scratch with 2 exceptions:
1. New M&H-Year One rear lighting harness
2. Retained front turn signal/marker light and horn wiring from original forward harness Both done because of the connectors and sockets for the respective bulbs. Everything else is new wire and layout.

The ISIS Multiplex Electrical platform has 3 modules that communicate over a bus to supply all switching functions. One module, the Mastercell receives all the switch inputs. It in turn sends commands to power loads on/off to two Powercells, one for forward circuits, one for rear. We mounted the Mastercell and Forward Powercell side by side on a custom bracket in the glove compartment opening. Being our second install of one of these systems in a Mopar, we had some lessons learned and ideas to try out on this one. The rear Powercell is mounted on a "wing" panel hung off existing holes in the the wheel well and rear quarter supports. This is a busy area because it also has the fuses for the two 60 amp feeds to each Powercell, and the battery isolation 300 amp relay.

Another "upgrade" that wiring from scratch allows you to incorporate is consistent use of Delphi Weatherpack connectors. There are many, many good options for connectors from AMP, Deutsch, and other Delphi MetriPack lines, but Weatherpack is inexpensive and easy to terminate. They look good, perform 100 times better than Packard 56, and while positive locking, can be disconnected with one hand. If you look close at the engine harness, wiper motor, and MSD box you will see them.

Attachments

• ISIS rear panel 1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 232
  • ISIS glove box 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Forward harness 1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 233
After the engine and chassis electrical got sorted out, the dash we had been planning for 3 years went together You can see the steering column harmonica connector converted to a Weatherpack for ISIS left turn, right turn, and horn inputs. The column is a "no key" 67 Dart column restored and fitted with the Borgeson U joint for the Alterktion steering rack.

Attachments

• Dash cluster 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 237
Hmmmm. Looking sweet. Started reading about these wiring systems the other day. Might have to pick your brain at some point. Right now I am at month one....lol

Weather-pac connectors are the way to go. I wired my off-road buggy a few years back and used weather-pac to make an engine harness. Easy once you get the right tools. And no soldering needed if wanted. Keep up the great work. I am going to wire my Duster the same way. I agree the electrical is one place that was left over. Once the wiring is upgraded it's amazing how much better things work. And it's not that expensive.

-
Back