72 Demon Power Steering Gearbox/Coupler Help...?

-

HellerHighwater

Reaction score
Help- I have to replace the steering coupler on my 72 Demon-

340 w/ TTI Headers, Power Steering, 4 Speed

Guy replaced the lower pinion seal, and the upper gearbox seal said it would take care of it. In doing it, he wallowed out the roll pin hole,and gummed up the splines on the coupler. Now I figured out its my gearbox that is shot, and leaking like a sieve - leaving a constant bloodtrail everywhere.

Decided not to spring for the Firm Feel, or other performance gear, went with a factory rebuild. Finally found a reman power steering gearbox (Auto Zone was backordered, would have been 1293 on a waitlist, NAPA or O'Reilly's can't even order them.) I have the reman gearbox ready to install. I can get the upper bearing, and coupler rebuild kit, even the spring retainer. Now I am trying to find a coupler.

Any ideas on where to find a good replacement coupler, new or used? Factory ones are not available short of $200-400! Does Dorman make one that will work for power steering for my 72? I know they may be out there for manual steering, but I have power steering...

Any insight for a Dorman coupler part number or equivalent, or does anyone have a good used one? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Steering_shaft_coupler.jpg

Dorman - OE Solutions Steering Shaft Repair Coupler 425-252: Advance Auto Parts

MOPAR PERFORMANCE STEERING PARTS (part #SP-867)

Guy replaced the lower pinion seal, and the upper gearbox seal said it would take care of it. In doing it, he wallowed out the roll pin hole,and gummed up the splines on the coupler. Now I figured out its my gearbox that is shot, and leaking like a sieve - leaving a constant bloodtrail everywhere.

Decided not to spring for the Firm Feel, or other performance gear, went with a factory rebuild. Finally found a reman power steering gearbox (Auto Zone was backordered, would have been 1293 on a waitlist, NAPA or O'Reilly's can't even order them.) I have the reman gearbox ready to install. I can get the upper bearing, and coupler rebuild kit, even the spring retainer. Now I am trying to find a coupler.

Any ideas on where to find a good replacement coupler, new or used? Factory ones are not available short of $200-400! Does Dorman make one that will work for power steering for my 72? I know they may be out there for manual steering, but I have power steering...

Any insight for a Dorman coupler part number or equivalent, or does anyone have a good used one? Any help would be greatly appreciated!View attachment 1714951139

Call Flaming River industries. The factory coupler would not clear the headers on my big block Duster so I bought a nice stainless steel U-joint coupler from them. Its best to call them directly because there are variations in what came on these cars as far as parts like steering shafts etc. 440-826-4488 or 800-648-8022. Their coupler is far better than the factory one.

I know everybody uses the u joints and says they have no problem, but since they don't accommodate body flex, I won't touch em. A failure there is guaranteeing an accident.

Contact Rick Ehrenberg at mopar action (formerly the magazine). He has a stash of parts and also knows a ton of people.
If it was me, I'd pm Tony Defeo, and get one there, and get a rebuild kit if necessary.

Any insight for a Dorman coupler part number or equivalent, or does anyone have a good used one? Any help would be greatly appreciated!View attachment 1714951139

Mancini also has them the u joint coupler 123.00 if you have sub frame connectors you shouldn't be having any body flex

Call Flaming River industries. The factory coupler would not clear the headers on my big block Duster so I bought a nice stainless steel U-joint coupler from them. Its best to call them directly because there are variations in what came on these cars as far as parts like steering shafts etc. 440-826-4488 or 800-648-8022. Their coupler is far better than the factory one.
Thanks for the information. I will give them a call next week. I am not able to get a roll pin to stay in now, so I have to get something figured out. Thanks again for the information!

I know everybody uses the u joints and says they have no problem, but since they don't accommodate body flex, I won't touch em. A failure there is guaranteeing an accident.

Contact Rick Ehrenberg at mopar action (formerly the magazine). He has a stash of parts and also knows a ton of people.
If it was me, I'd pm Tony Defeo, and get one there, and get a rebuild kit if necessary.
Thanks- I'll check there- and follow up. I appreciate the insight.

Mancini also has them the u joint coupler 123.00 if you have sub frame connectors you shouldn't be having any body flex
I looked on the Mancini site and saw the one on there as a U-Joint coupler. Hard to tell if this is actually for a power steering or manual steering box. It seems like 90% + of the couplers out there are for manual or p/s to manual conversions. I do not know the spline count on these. I'll have to check with them directly. Any one else that has any insight, it's greatly appreciated!

I have a used good one. If you are interested in the coupler, send me a PM/Convo

I looked on the Mancini site and saw the one on there as a U-Joint coupler. Hard to tell if this is actually for a power steering or manual steering box. It seems like 90% + of the couplers out there are for manual or p/s to manual conversions. I do not know the spline count on these. I'll have to check with them directly. Any one else that has any insight, it's greatly appreciated!
Mine is power steering. That's why if you do go with the U-joint setup Its best to call the company you're getting it from and make sure you're getting the right one. I don't remember the spline count and not all the steering shafts are the same as well. I wound up sending pictures of what I had to Flaming River and got the right coupler the first time.

Mine is power steering. That's why if you do go with the U-joint setup Its best to call the company you're getting it from and make sure you're getting the right one. I don't remember the spline count and not all the steering shafts are the same as well. I wound up sending pictures of what I had to Flaming River and got the right coupler the first time.

Thanks doosterfy!

-
Back