72 Demon Power Steering

-

Demon_Dan

Reaction score
Hey gang , Wondering if anybody here can tell me how difficult it would be to swap out the power steering in my Demon. It feels sloppy and it leaks and, by looking at it , I can't tell whats involved installing a new one. Thanks.

fYI, if your power steering is decent rebuilt it, don't buy a reproduction one, because all of them leak and are even more sloppy, I rebuilt mine because the lower seal was leaking so bad I was filling the power steering up every couple days. As for pulling the power steering unit you have to unbolt the engine mount and jack up the engine on one side to get it out, I used a engine hoist. plus you will need a pickle fork to remove the it from the steering shaft, and the lower pitman arm was a ***** to get out, I broke one puller on it. the whole processes is a 6- 8 hour job, but i cleaned everything and detailed it, so time may vary.

I installed a Borgeson steering box in my 73 challenger in Feb. and I am in the middle of installing one on my 71 dart right now.. Bolts up to stock location and steering components, no need for any thing fancy. For me this is the way to go. Clears my TTI's in both cars, weighs 15 lbs less than stock, has fast ratio and great road-feel.

Reach out to Peter @GMachineDartGT he is a member on here and he has a complete package for the swap, plus he is a dealer for a lot of other items as well.. He saved me a TON of money this winter on my challenger project..
Bergman Auto Craft - Home of the Modern Muscle Car

-
Back