72 Demon Resto

-

monoptn

Mopar Aficianado
Reaction score
I've been posting under the new members section, but I thought I'd move it over here. Bought this 1 owner slant six Demon 3 months ago for a nice price. I've been collecting parts for the interior, having a body man cut the rust out and blend the paint (minimal rust in the quarters, none anywhere else), and building a 360. I picked the 360 and 904 up at a junkyard for $200 with all the brackets and accessories. This weekend, I'm dropping the motor in and firing it if all goes according to plan! I believe you can tell which pictures are before and after.

The plan is to drop the motor in from the topside with the headers (Hedman) sitting in the engine compartment.

1quarters.JPG

1motor.JPG

1engcpt.JPG

demon.jpg

d1.JPG

demon2.jpg

panels.jpg

spaint2.jpg

junkyard.jpg

Looking great keep up the good work. What product did you use on the kick panels and what is that is the color on them?
Bob

$200 dollars for the 360 :burnout: engine and trans!!good deal monoptn!Looking good ,keep posting pictures of your restoration.and good luck!

Allot of good work has been dun monoptn! :blob:
Did you do the body work your self ?It sure looks nice :coffee2:
I am glad you joined this great site, keep up the good work.
What kind of wheels will you be looking for? :scratch:

I did not do the body work. I took it apart, pulled the engine, degreased the eng. compartment.

The kick panel is a used one from ebay, which I dyed the proper color. The old one next to it got thrown away.

Very nice job!!! few questions though, Did you have to change the K- member? or do they make brackets now to go from a slant 6 to a V8? If Im not mistaken you may have to change out the rearend as well, that rearend will not be able to handle the V8, ( I remember my dad telling me one time when I was gonna buy a slant six duster that I needed to chnge th K-member because the v8 would not fit. and that Id also snap the rearend getting on it cause of the gears being lower for the slant 6 but I could be wrong.

dam that looks awesome...how did you clean your engine bay out(you repainted it right) how did you get the old stuff off, the quarters look very nice. How did you get the kick pannels to look so dam good thats how mine look :)

I degreased the engine bay repeatedly (degreaser and pressure washer), then scuffed and painted (body main scuffed and painted, i cleaned!) After that was done I spray bombed the k frame, etc with satin black paint.

The kick panel in the before and after picture ....I threw away the "before" kick panels, bought used black ones on ebay, and dyed them with the correct color which I got from www.mopaintusa.com Rob at Mopaint has an unbelievable amount of knowledge about interior mopar paints. I'd highly recommed calling him for paint.

Thanks for the compliments. Today some friends are coming over to drop in the motor....If all goes well, it should be finished up in 2 weeks or so.

I didn't get to fire it today, but got the hard work done. Still gotta get trans cooling lines, bolt up the flexplate, starter, and finish the electronic ignition. Oh yeah, gotta reconnect the center link.

The installation was actually pretty easy: the motor dropped right in with the Schumacher mounts. There is one small problem yet to overcome. The p/s tube coming out the back of the PS pump hit's the k frame and prevents me from tightening the belt. I think this may be the k-frame cutting that they mentioned in "Mopar Muscle".

motorin.JPG

All done except I ordered new throttle brackets and an aftermarket kickdown cable, as the kickdown from the Cordoba wouldn't work. Got the flexplate bolted up to converter, starter in, wiring done, elect. ignition done, hoses done, even managed to get the trans cooling lines hooked up. Thursday or Friday it's going to the muffler shop for exhaust, then Saturday I'm firing it up!

After that, on to the interior. That shouldn't be too bad, except the headliner is already giving me fits. It's the molded one ( a repop) and I'm gonna need to shave it down just a bit in places in order for it to fit.

motorcomplete.JPG

Nice Demon... that's going to look sweet once it's all together! Great work.

What color blue is that?

Wo WOOOOOOO!!!!

Today I took the Demon to the muffler shop and had exhaust run from the Hedmans, with flowmaster 40s, and an H pipe. I was ready to fire it tonight, but my mopar "consultant" was sick, and could not come over tonight to help with lighting the motor, but I did it anyway!

I cranked it over for about 5 seconds or so with the coil wire off, then poured some gas in the carb, and it hit a lick. I cranked it again, and while working the throttle, it hit again, started, and sounded like a tractor for about 5 seconds. I retarded the timing about 10 deg. and it fired up and ran! I ran it for 15-20 minutes at 1800+ or so RPMs. As expected, the headers glowed, but there were no leaks at all except for a tranny leak, which I think was coming from the cooling line nut. I tightened it up, and will check it tomorrow.

After I shut it down it dieseled before cutting off, and then spewed coolant out the overflow like a freight train. I was afraid I'd ruined it, but a call to my buddy assured my this was normal with a new tight engine on break in.

I let it cool for about 20 minutes, topped off the coolant, checked again for leaks, and it fired right up. I backed down the idle to around 800rpms, and it sounds and runs great.

This is going to be one bad Demon, and from the way it ran tonight, I think it'll take my GTX easily.

Edited to say: PS, it's b3 Basin St (Petty) blue.

I brought the car home in Feb and immediately began taking it apart. I bought the motor and trans from a junkyard in late feb. An engine builder built the longblock for me. I finished it up (intake, carb, etc), painted, installed, laced it up.

While I didn't get it perfect, I did get it on! I think I left a bit too much gap in the middle...too much body color showing, but not bad.

demonstripe1.jpg

-
Back