72 Demon slanty-to-340 Resto

-
Working it into my restoration thread I finally got a set of Pistons to go with it and a stroker crank from Ohio crankshaft and slowly rounding up the rest of the parts will probably get the bottom end done over the winter that's that whole money thing and time

Why don't you check out my posts in the last four or five pages of the Ford 8.8 Explorer rear axle thread it's just as good as a 8.75 but way way cheaper. I built in 8.75 for my 67 but I'm building an 8.8 Ford for my son's car. Comes with mopar bolt pattern, mine had 3.73 gears. A locker, and disc brakes. Payed $300 for it. Did some swappin and tradin stuff. I am going to be into it all new bearings, clutches, brakes, rotors etc total $400. Had i known about this back when i was building my 8.75, i woilda sold its parts and went on the hunt for an 8.8 xploder axle back then.

I think I remember the bit about the exploder axle, I was just biding my time and holding off from getting to the axle til I needed it, waiting to see if I could get a reasonable 8.75". The a-body housing is the only thing that's hard to find, the rest is a dime a dozen if I scour craigslist for portland

If you have everything else for the 8.75, just get a C body housing , send it to Moser. They will narrow it, and weld the perches on it for you. They have the specs for stock width, perch width, and perch angle. If you want anything different with any of these just tell em what you want.

If you have everything else for the 8.75, just get a C body housing , send it to Moser. They will narrow it, and weld the perches on it for you. They have the specs for stock width, perch width, and perch angle. If you want anything different with any of these just tell em what you want.
This deal I'm checking out sunday is for a COMPLETE axle, minus drums & backing plates. Housing, axles, & 3rd member w/ open 3.23. Just gotta make sure it's proper width and not just a B or E axle mislabeled as an A

8.25 brake parts swap too. I have heard of people using the jeep grand cherokee rear disc brake stuff off the 8.25 on the 8.75.

I was able to use the 10x2.5 rear drums, backing plates etc off a 74 dart with a 7.25 on an 8.75. The bolted right up.

I hope that works out for you. If not a C body tube can be made into an A body one by Moser Engineering for you.

Just got back from checking out the axle, and I got a long story and a short story.

Long story:
I meet up with the guy, an old timer with a cane, definitely had someone else load it up in his truck (although luckily it's a lot lighter than I thought it'd be, was able to handle it myself). Flange-to-flange, measured somewhere close to 52-3/4" (center hump makes it difficult to get accurate) so I'm guessing that's 52-5/8" like in 72blu's list.
20181007_184029.jpg

I also checked the casting on the 3rd member, and got stoked!
20181007_182829.jpg

So everything's there, although there's some nuts missing to bolt on the 3rd member (was already made aware of). And get this: over the phone I mentioned my 340 project, and so as an added bonus he gives me an intake!
20181007_184942.jpg

We get to talking, and story goes, he ran a resto shop up in the area before it closed down. Since then, he's been hoarding leftove parts to get rid of "without just givin em away". I got his number still, so if I still need anymore parts in the future I can give him a call and see what he has.

Short story:
-Got the axle
-It was the right length
-3rd member was the 2881489
-Got a free intake for the 340

Good way to put an end to the weekend!

-
Back