72' Demon Starter Change

-

element303

Reaction score
I need to replace my starter and unlike all other cars I had before, this doesnt seem a quick fix. If I see this right I might get it out loosening the 2 bolts for the exhaust connection to the headers and work my way around the steering rods? Any tips? Thank you

I just read somewhere unbolting the tranny cooler lines and turning the steering to the right might give enough space.

get the front end off the ground so you can easily move the steering - I usually remove the left wheel/tire too. Every one I have ever done is a tight dang fit but it should come out without taking a lot of stuff apart - once it is unbolted and the wires are off, you may need to move the steering a little (IIRC it's to the left), then it's just a matter of snaking it around until you find that ONE spot that allows it to drop out. Do you know what headers are in there?

get the front end off the ground so you can easily move the steering - I usually remove the left wheel/tire too. Every one I have ever done is a tight dang fit but it should come out without taking a lot of stuff apart - once it is unbolted and the wires are off, you may need to move the steering a little (IIRC it's to the left), then it's just a matter of snaking it around until you find that ONE spot that allows it to drop out. Do you know what headers are in there?

Yeah its all stock. First look it seems like I need to unbolt the exhaust from the headers but lets see.

I feel like I recall some headers having to be loosened up too... oh, so it's not headers - it's original exhaust manifolds?

ok - it's been a LONG time but I think the exhaust didn't have to be messed with even to remove an original starter - the trans lines should flex just enough without disconnecting them (if they are actually in the way at all) so don't unless you HAVE to. I have to say - this should be pretty straight forward. Disconnect and mark the wires (not something you want to get backasswards when you go to reconnect them) - undo the 2 bolts and drop it out. Again, you will probably have to move the steering some.

also, if your starter has this -
ministr67.jpg
- it can be removed from the starter to allow it to drop out a little easier

Are they so hard to confuse? haha. OK thank you. I will try that later today. I dont have jack here right now but I got stuck in the city yesterday and had to wait 2 hours until the starter was cold again. It wouldnt even start when the guys from the airport came with a huge mobile starter battery for airplanes.

Turns out the battery wasn't that great and I ended up changing the alternator first.

-
Back