72 Demon Trunk lock cylinder falls through panel hole???

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just got a new trunk lock for my car. When I tried to install it the cylinder just goes right through the hole in the panel?? Did these trunk locks have some kind of small escution under the lip of the cylinder to make it a tad bigger?? The hole does not look like it was messed up??

Yup, But it goes right through the hole?? I wonder if year one gave me the correct cylinder??
Car was missing trunk cylinder when I got the car. I wonder if somebody took a hammer and punched the cylinder through because they had no key?? The cylinder just fits through the hole so the locking clip will not hold it. Problem is I just painted the car? I wonder if I put a socket in behind and tap the sheetmetal it will maybe push the metal out a little to snug up the hole without damaging my paint....

Thinking the 73+ are a larger hole.
Do you know the full history of that tailpanel?

You posted before I could ask.
Check specs for the later years, you might get off with just a new cylinder.

Thinking the 73+ are a larger hole.
Do you know the full history of that tailpanel?
No. Looks original but the hole appears rather deep when I insert the cylinder. I was thinking the same thing? Wrong cylinder?? Is the face of the cylinder suppose to be pushed in about 3/16"?? Anybody got a picture??

Here are a couple shots. Looking close, it almost looks like somebody punched the old cylinder through? Sucks cause the car is all painted.

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

I have to agree it looks like someone knocked it out. I would look at a later model. Here's a pic of my 71.

IMG_2304.JPG

I have to agree it looks like someone knocked it out. I would look at a later model. Here's a pic of my 71.

View attachment 1715013102
Just looked at a 73 cylinder online and it appears to no longer have that ushaped clip to secure it in the trunk. But it has a rather large threaded not that tightens on the inside of the trunk. Although most places are not in stock, I suppose I should try and find one of those and try it in the opening. I am hoping the previous owner had an issue with the hole, so he hogged it out and installed that 73 version because that would fix the issue. It does not appear to be done in a haphazard manner, so I think the later model might work?? I hope it does. If anybody here has a 73 and up car, maybe they can post a diameter width of the face of their cylinder??

Ugh. Looks like that tail panel was punched or drilled out. The hole in the panel shouldn't be round. Here's some pictures of the old tail panel from my '74. Sides and bottom of the hole are flat, side-side measurement is ~.9875". The 73+ cars do have a different hole pattern than the earlier cars, but that's not the problem.

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

Yes, I did find a cylinder in my scrap stuff with the nut on the back.. It fit right in the hole and fits fine??? Why this 72 Car is now sporting the larger lock cylinder with the nut on the back is anybody's guess. I am thinking somebody ordered a cylinder back in time and mistakenly got the larger one, so rather than return it, they filed the hole open to receive the larger cylinder. So I will order a 73 and up cylinder and I think the problem is solved. Paintjob is saved. Thank God...

Glad to hear it's going to work out for you.

-
Back