72 Duster, 360, not firing or starting

-

osxdos

72' Duster / 360
Reaction score
Hmm, I recently changed ignition. Switch without s hitch , been driving her ever since, no problem now all the sudden all its doing is turning g over, battery strong, starter is strong, before oodles it I filled tank up , plus of course.

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

A seriously though, I went inside for about an hour and a half with my go, in the bedroom I thought somebody messed with it, number one and number three I took off to clean them up and see if they had one where they were somehow but I got haters that live around me let me catch somebody it'll be the last

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I need to tune up anyway really new plugs new wires oil change I just left I just came back and bodies guess what else all I do is touch the older wiring it fell apart it was corroded

IMAG0025.jpg

The alternator wire fell apart I'll take a picture of it this is ridiculous

Did you check for voltage at the coil? Is the rotor in there and turning with the cam?
No the engine will run just fine without the alternator. And I doubt the plugs are the issue.

On a different note,
Are you aware that by putting the throttle spring on like a chebby, you are putting extra stress on the throttle body, where the throttle shaft passes thru it? If you flip it around and run it to the front,then that spring will oppose the cable and wear will slow right down.
Are you aware that running all that rubber fuel line with gear clamps, and a plastic filter is risky-business?

Last edited:
Jesus, look at this plug there's like three lime this,
Coil wire red looks partiality broke or cut in first picture grounding?
I Minda c it in picture but can't find on car I cased down the red coil

IMAG0032.jpg

If the plug wires are shorting out it will miss fire or not run, good idea to check the coil for spark and check the distributor cap and rotor for corrosion inside, is this a dual point distributor or electronic?

If the plug wires are shorting out it will miss fire or not run, good idea to check the coil for spark and check the distributor cap and rotor for corrosion inside, is this a dual point distributor or electronic?

I'm not sure. Hmm. This is the first time I've delt with this type of issue. How do I check coil for spark... is this right ????? The wiring on the fuse , brown mopar, ignition switch bypass? And the blue....

IMAG0037.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a test light, the red wire you have on the coil positive +
Ground the test light to the chassis then turn ignition to the on position, take the test light and touch the coil to see if test light lights up. If so your getting power to the coil. You also can test off a spark plug wire place a spark plug in the plug wire have someone crank the engine and hold the wire approximately 1/4 of an inch from the header almost touching and watch for arc (SPARK) between the plug and the ground. If it's there then you know spark and coil and ignition is good.

also maybe you should know that I just installed a stereo and an amplifier and ten inch subwoofers and I ran it to this fuse so I don't know if maybe that's the culpret or not or playing a part in it not firing I'm not sure.... battery seems really strong though and starter i put on it is strong.

Brown wire looks like ignition wire that works from your ignition switch sends power to the solenoid, to the starter for cranking, then the red wire should go to the ignition box or the coil. Do the first step check for spark from the plug wire

I don't have test light, I have a multi-meter though but barely know how to use it

Same principle I guess ground and it should jump the needle to 12volts give me a sec I'm try it

Ok then go by the spark plug test, have a spark plug removed or a new plug choose the easiest one to get to, place it inside one of the wires and hold it close to the headers have someone crank the engine and look for spark between the plug and the engine

I don't have nobody to crank the engine, just broke out the old millimeter lol

IMAG0040.jpg

And before I test for spark with a multimeter, to is it okay well I should say voltage now but is it okay to replace the two spark plug wires that's burnt the number 5 and number 7 with two decent spark plug wires that I have put up but they're seven millimeter and the ones that I'm taking off are 8

-
Back