72 duster /6 to sbm swap help

-

72dustr360

Reaction score
Okay i know this question gets old but im new here and I have a nice 72 duster / 6 3 speed in the floor car and I picked up a 74 satellite 4door for parts that has a built 318 in it I also got a 4 speed out of a 76 roadrunner can anyone give me a list of parts that I'll need to gather up to do the swap?

Okay i know this question gets old but im new here and I have a nice 72 duster / 6 3 speed in the floor car and I picked up a 74 satellite 4door for parts that has a built 318 in it I also got a 4 speed out of a 76 roadrunner can anyone give me a list of parts that I'll need to gather up to do the swap?
20160719_132827.jpg

I have a 72 demon /6 car now that I'm working on and olan the 360mag swap myself. While not overly knowledgable yet, I've been doing this same research.

First rec: check out magnumswap.com. they give a very good broad overview of what to do.

In a nutshell, you'll need to upgrade your torsion bars and radiator. You'll need a new trannie since the /6 bellhousing isn't same as on V8.
It's highly recommended to upgrade to at least front disk brakes if got all drums since you're pushing more HP.
You prob have a 7.25 rear which is weak for a bigger V8 torque, so need to swap out for 8.25 (handle up to ~350-400horse) or an 8.75 or Dana 60 to handle way more + juice.
Might as well swap in BBP wheels if you have SBP now, more wheel choices for better performance and stickie.

New engine mount and/or kframe.

There's a lot to make it last and make it safe, but it's all really doable.

Edit: oh yeah, new throttle linkage like a lokar kit. Lots of little things.
Since you have donor car, most will have to xfer over or be modified for an A body

For starters you'll need a 4 speed hump, shift mechanism, shifter handle, shift rods and the correct yoke. You said the 4 speed was out of a roadrunner so you need an a body length tail shaft housing.
Next you need a manual transmission brake and clutch pedal assembly. Bell housing, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and throw out bearing. You'll need a pilot bushing or bearing as well so you need to make sure the crank in the 318 is drilled for that as well. Then you'll need an a body z bar, ball studs and brackets for both the engine side and the body side, z bar bushings and springs. You'll also need the right clutch fork and pivot for your bell housing.
For swapping in the 318 swap the k frame get a new radiator with the right hoses. You'll have to get new battery cables and change some wiring lengths in the engine bay. If the 318 does not have all the brackets and pullys put those on the list too. I'm not sure if the center link is different from a slant to a small block so check into that. When I got a small block k frame I got the center link that came with it.

-
Back