72 Duster A/C evaporator

-

jayreniker

Reaction score
Am restoring car and factory A/C. All new parts EXCEPT evaporator. Can I trust original evaporator? If not, I cannot see how to remove and install another one? Where can I find instructions? THANKS!!!

I went through this a year ago on my 74 Dart Sport. I removed heater box to remove the evaporator to pressure test with water and it looked ok. It actually leaked after putting in the R-134a to the system so my advice is to go ahead and buy a new one on Ebay.

THANKS very much, I agree with you. Have already replaced compressor, condenser, hoses, and in Houston need A/C, so really should replace evaporator! I am 65, so it is getting hard to get under dash. How difficult is it and any tips or instructions will be appreciated!!!! JAY

You need to remove the glovebox liner to gain access to the upper bolting and other items on top of the evaporator box; was not necessary on mine to remove the glovebox door as liner collapses. Need to unscrew the drain tube and disconnect the vacuum hoses on the side. Need to remove the bolt just above the kick panel which will give some flexibility to slightly pull the lower dash to give some clearance when removing box. Need to remove the A/C outlet vents box (2 nuts on bottom).

Note: heater box is separate and is not removed; at least not on my 1974.

-
Back