72 duster AC car, heater core removal

-

scott2683

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up a 72 duster, the previous owner said he thought the heater core was starting to leak, so he bypassed it. I was going to put a new heater core in just to be safe.

Does anyone have instructions or tips for an AC car? I keep reading how it's a nightmare, but no one has really posted a successful way to knock it out.

Thanks in advance.

Not real hard just a long process. You have to remove the entire unit that has the core inside, studs that mount unit have nuts on engine bay side of firewall I think 3 or 4 ?elec, vac hoses [be sure to label vac hoses] a/c vent outlet has bolts going up into dash from bottom, pass outside vent has a hook/bolt that goes up into vent housing be careful with that one if rusty spray first it's fragile might want to get new unit to firewall seals, and seals for a/c and heat lines go thru firewall it's a long job but take yur time and watch where everything comes from so reinstall is easier.
I have a unit I took out so if you need any parts that break or get lost let me know
I would have a/c evaporator pressure tested since you will have access to it also.

Last edited:
Not real hard just a long process. You have to remove the entire unit that has the core inside, studs that mount unit have nuts on engine bay side of firewall I think 3 or 4 ?elec, vac hoses [be sure to label vac hoses] a/c vent outlet has bolts going up into dash from bottom, pass outside vent has a hook/bolt that goes up into vent housing be careful with that one if rusty spray first it's fragile might want to get new unit to firewall seals, and seals for a/c and heat lines go thru firewall it's a long job but take yur time and watch where everything comes from so reinstall is easier.
I have a unit I took out so if you need any parts that break or get lost let me know
I would have a/c evaporator pressure tested since you will have access to it also.

Thank you!! I appreciate all of the information. I will definitely let you know!

I forget where the year split is, but A/C boxes usually dont need to be removed, you can get to the heater core by removing a few pieces off the center section.

I also have and AC car here with the dash out That car also has a couple of units setting inside I kept for reference. I am going to put AC in my Demon From this car so I can also provide some reference pictures if needed. I have a factory shop manual I can scan pics and pages for you if needed. I just orderd a Non AC kit from Detroit Muscle Opened the box yesterday they give you everything. Don't start your project without the kit for AC.

-
Back