72 Duster build input

-

dusterbuild

Reaction score
Newbie here.
Short story,
12 years ago I bought a 72 V-8 duster that used to be owned by Don Llamars daughter from Moothart Chryselr, fixed it up drove and showed it as a hot rod, at that time my daughter was 3, eventually sold it, big mistake, forward to today, well daughter wants 72 back, did find it on Craigslist, went from white to lime green and 10 grand, well thats out.
But found one to trade for, draw back, its a slant six, but has power brakes and A/C
We want V-8 360. So the question is simple,
What kind of problems do I need to look out for when going from 6 to 8
Yea I know at least the k member and transmission wont bolt up, but all the other goodies.
Just need to know what I am getting into
Thanks,
Dusterbuild

Welcome to the board, there is a lot of info here, just do a search, other then the k frame and trany, you just need to move some wires around and get a v8 radiator, basic stuff really.

Yes i agree with no poseur on Radiator. Bigger is better, not to mention beefing up the front suspension with better springs, shocks and brakes for stopping power.

From experience, You may want to consider a performance K member like a "Hemidenny K member". It may seem expensive but that is a whole new front end you will be getting.

I stayed with original suspension and just rebuilt it but only saved a few $100. If given the chance again I would go with a performance K member.

You can save some money by going mild on the 360. Then later adding simple "bolt-ons".

the engine swap is the easy part.

what to look out for: cancer / rust through the floor, quarters, trunk areas.

you either need to have time/space/knowhow to weld body panels, or pay huge $$$ to get it repaired; if you are paying you will find it challenging to find a place that will do that kind of work... then you will learn infinite patience as it usually takes many many hours of work, and since they have more projects than just your car, the task can take many months and even years.

the mechanical work is not the problem. it's the body work. that should be your big concern.

Hey thanks,
really apreciate the input, will look into that performence k member, great point on the radiatior didnt consider that. Engine build is a snap, since way back in the 80,s I was a master mechanic for Chrysler, and my old duster I built a 360 with a 907 did low 14s and very streetable. And yes I know about the sheet metal end of it, thats why I am very careful to check out the body from top to bottom, they dont make enough bodo for me to fix it.
dusterbuilder

...good time to renew all the bushings in the front end...change to discs if you have drums..and put bigger torsion bars on it..

-
Back