Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
This is not my car but I thought I would post it for the owner. Real cool ride at what I feel is a reasonable price.

72 Duster 340 F.A.S.T. small block record holder.

Best ET to date 11.43 @ 120 mph.

This is a turn key, purpose built car with lots of potential. The project started out as a very solid /6 survivor, cloned into a 340 car. Engine is a fresh custom stroke 444 with 13.6 compression built in the winter of '09. The tranny is a rollerized column shift 904 that also was built early '09 and new 8 3/4 with 3.73's and spool in the back.

The car is setup with manual brakes, manual steering and heater and radio delete. The car has had a 4 speed hump added when first built and its still there but blanked over and a new 4 speed carpet installed over it. It weighs in at 2950# without a driver.

I've got all receipts and lots of documentation/photographs of the entire project.

Here's some specs.

Engine-
444 cubic inch stroker, 13.6 compression
68 340 block, ½ filled, tubed and bored 40 over with pro-gram steel caps
Custom 4.25” stroke Callies Magnum crank & Callies Compstar H beam rods
Diamond pistons with Teflon skirt coat and thermal barrier coat on top
Dual Ishihara-Johnson crank scrapers
915 J heads completely redone & ported by Dwayne Porter (~271 int, ~180 ex)
2.055 / 1.625 Ferrea valves and Comp springs
Norris SS rockers with chromed shafts & Smith Bros pushrods
SCE Titan ICS copper head gaskets
Comp custom solid roller cam & Comp solid roller lifters
Mildly ported stock intake & Thermoquad, modified to 850 specs.
Mildy ported (ie more can be done) stock exhaust manifolds
TTI dual H-pipe 2.5” exhaust, dynomax mufflers and SS repro tips.
Innovate Wide Band LM1 Air Fuel meter and RPM converter with logging capabilities
Stock tank with ½” pickup, Mallory 110 pump and 3/8 fuel lines
Chrome ignition box, MSD soft touch rev control, Mopar/Mallory distributor & Firecore wires

Drivetrain-
Rollerized 904 transmission
A999 5 clutch drum & A&A Multi spring pack
Alto Red clutches and solid Bands, Kolene steels
Turbo Action Rev Man VB
Heim jointed column shift linkage
Turbo Action 3000 stall converter
New Aluminum Driveshaft with solid joints & loop
3.73 8 ¾ rear with lightweight full spool
Dutchman axles & green bearings
Wheel Vintiques SBP 14x6 rallyes with G70-14 Polyglas

Chassis/body-
Car was a solid “Survivor” with minor work done to lower rear ¼’s, the car is straight.
Exterior and jambs done with PPG base clear
Underside is original and solid, never undercoated
Car has a 4 speed hump
Slant 6 torsion bars, Espo reproduction 340 rear leafs with poly bushings
Competition engineering drag shocks on all corners
Manual disk front brakes, stock rear drums & Line lock
Manual steering, column shift & Tuff repro wheel
Heater Delete, Radio Delete and non functional wipers

I'm asking $26k or best offer. I need to sell. I would be interested in a partial musclecar trade + cash.

Contact me @ [email protected]

!BTPw!iwBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjsEjlLmWUfiBKHZ5k8Rp!~~_3.JPG

!BTUr+Eg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlvkV2BKHyTF2yO!~~_3.JPG

FAST is serious business. Those tires are not easy to launch on. I know at one time they were using duel stage rev limiters for getting off the line...

Not sure if the rules changed on that.

I love those FAST cars! Very cool, it just goes to show ya, you can make a stock appearing car go like hell! You don't need all those aftermarket parts, it's all in the motor. Love that Duster!

I was just trolling some old posts and ran across this one.

It's been a while since I sold this car but it ended up going to a fellow in Sweden. I have pics of the car T&T'ing at Hockenheimring in Germany. Very odd knowing my car went to the other side of the world.

It may not be the subforum for it but I'd be glad to share anything about what I did with this car, no secrets. Believe it or not, not much wizz bang stuff in my car. For example, ignition was a chrome box with an MSD soft touch rev limiter wired in from when the car had a 4 speed.

I was just trolling some old posts and ran across this one.

It's been a while since I sold this car but it ended up going to a fellow in Sweden. I have pics of the car T&T'ing at Hockenheimring in Germany. Very odd knowing my car went to the other side of the world.

It may not be the subforum for it but I'd be glad to share anything about what I did with this car, no secrets. Believe it or not, not much wizz bang stuff in my car. For example, ignition was a chrome box with an MSD soft touch rev limiter wired in from when the car had a 4 speed.

The way the nazi cops are cracking down here, F.A.S.T. may be the only way to go. I've heard that there's Ministry of the Environment (MOE) inspectors hanging out at local shows handing out $350 fines things like not having a pcv valve or just an open breather in the valve covers (no hose going to air filter).

Anyways, 13.6 is alot of compression. If someone were building just a quick street car, what times do you think it would run on 10.0 compression, an aluminum intake and headers?

That is one sweet Duster. Very nice.

Wylde1.

Considering whats done to the motor,i thought it would be faster.
But then again those stock exhaust manifolds would be absolutely
strangling it.

Nice as car though.

Considering whats done to the motor,i thought it would be faster.
But then again those stock exhaust manifolds would be absolutely
strangling it.

Nice as car though.

In FAST……

You need your carb, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, and heads have the correct casting numbers for the car you are presenting….

With this car it would be a 72 340.

The car also has to have a reasonably stock sounding idle.

Take all that and push it through crap tires….

This car is VERY fast given those limits.

In FAST……

You need your carb, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, and heads have the correct casting numbers for the car you are presenting….

With this car it would be a 72 340.

The car also has to have a reasonably stock sounding idle.

Take all that and push it through crap tires….

This car is VERY fast given those limits.

What intake manifold is that???
Stock sounding idle?
I dont think hes car would really sound stock at all,
not with those specs...

Im only comparing this car,to someone elses i know,that is
still a 360 only 20 thou over not stroked
whatsoever,j heads,runs on pump gas,full
exhaust system,weighs 3300 odd pounds,
an does 10.70's at 125.

I wonder what this fast car can do with proper tires...
Its a tough car no doubt.

comparing this car,to someone elses i know,that is
an does 10.70's at 125.

I'd like to see the details of a 360 car @ 3300 lbs that does 10.7s @ 125MPH.

Things like the chassis setup, the tranny setup, the engine build - all the details.

comparing this car,to someone elses i know,that is
an does 10.70's at 125.

I'd like to see the details of a 360 car @ 3300 lbs that does 10.7s @ 125MPH.

Things like the chassis setup, the tranny setup, the engine build - all the details.

Its my mechanics car,its powering an a body aus charger.
Theres another person on this site,known as 'moparmal'
that can verify what im saying,that has seen
the car,an that im not talking
crap.

Dont get me wrong,it wasnt running those times from the get go!
It took ALOT of tinkering an fine tuning,messing with gears an
convertors,carbs,to get it where it is.

I dont know if hed give me alllll the details,
i know he sold the motor for 10,000.
From pan to carb.
I wanted to buy it but couldnt :(

Il tell you what i know from memory,
11.3.1 comp.
solid roller 638 odd lift,around there...
Dont know what the J heads flow but il assume
there harassed within an inch of there life.
Was running a vac pump on the motor( free ponies)
5000 or 5500 rpm converter,
4.3 gears.

Im just excited to see now what hes stroked 360 ( 408)
with w2 heads now is going to do...
Time will tell!
Hes modest,but i think hel go 9.9's on pump fuel an
full pipes when its done an sorted.

What impresses him are these fast class guys.
Anyhow i dont wanna thread jack,pm me if you wanna
ask anything else i spose.

Bump for this car!

What intake manifold is that???
Stock sounding idle?
I dont think hes car would really sound stock at all,
not with those specs...

Im only comparing this car,to someone elses i know,that is
an does 10.70's at 125.

I wonder what this fast car can do with proper tires...
Its a tough car no doubt.

Sorry but you are not grasping the limits of FAST class.

The intake that car is using is the correct cast iron intake for a 72 340.

The suspension mods are also very limited…. Mostly you can only change the shocks (but whatever shocks you go with will still need to look mostly factory).

As for idle sound…. Must have a stock sounding idle is one of the rules….. This is why the FAST guys run custom ground cams.

F.A.S.T = Factory appearing stock tire.

As far as what could it do with a proper tire? Those are the proper tire for the class.

Again…. And you clearly are not getting this…. He is running that time through a

Stock numbers correct parts for a 1972 340.

That carb is a correct casting for a 1972 340.

That intake is a correct casting for a 1972 340.

Those exhaust manifolds are correct castings for a 1972 340.

The heads are correct castings for a 1972 340.

The suspension must look stock.

The interior must look stock.

The exterior must look stock.

The correct air cleaner for a 1972 340 is being used.

NO NOS ALLOWED!

And let me tell you this…. I have drag raced on my E70-14 bias ply tires….. It aint easy.

And I really question (call it a flat out lie) that anyone is running a 10.70 @ 125 with a non-stroked 360, through the manifolds and cast iron heads with a low enough compression to be doing it with pump gas in a full weight car.

Could the above car be much faster? Sure it could just add headers and slicks and all the other stuff….. But then it wouldn't be in FAST class.

The cam was a custom grind meant to keep the exhaust note as tame as possible. I doubt it really sounded just like off the showroom but it was very tame sounding. Remember, it has manifolds, 2.5" pipes and stock appearing mufflers (dynomax super turbos) all of that contribute to cutting the exhaust note.

I did have to run the stock castings and yes, this class fun but definiately not the way to get the most HP per dollar.

Also, the tires get a bad rap but you'd be suprised at how well they do, granted they are not slicks or drag radials but are far better than your average street radial.

I've been following the F.A.S.T. builds, and have started on my 71 Demon 340, just finished about 20 hours work on the intake, man is it a lot of work getting in the ports to radius the turns but i did it. Now i'm starting on the heads not sure if i will need a pro but going to start them myself.

I've been told those f.a.s.t. cars are easier to launch then you think,and they just have to look stock you can make any internal modifications you want.. stroked,hugh roller cams,roller rockers,highly modified carbs,hidden aftermarket ignitions..rollerized trans ect ect...as long as it can't be seen by the naked eye some of those guys have more money in their motors then i have in my entire car...

they might have more in just the trans, also most extrude hone the intake and exhaust manifolds, the going rate for the exhaust is $600 plus intake around $400 plus shipping. adds up quick for just around maybe 8 or 10 HP. I'm not going to go all out, i'll be happy if i can run 11.90's, and make some BB chevy guys :sad10:

they might have more in just the trans, also most extrude hone the intake and exhaust manifolds, the going rate for the exhaust is $600 plus intake around $400 plus shipping. adds up quick for just around maybe 8 or 10 HP. I'm not going to go all out, i'll be happy if i can run 11.90's, and make some BB chevy guys :sad10:

Many people find that the extrude hone really isn't worth it. I didn't bother, my intake simply had the divider cut down and ports matched. The exhausts were just cleaned up with a carbide burr mostly to minmize the "bumps" for the manifold bolts.

Spend the money on the heads/cam.

As for running 11.90's, before i put the 444ci beast in the car I broke into the 11's with a relatively mild small block. It was a basic 30 over 10.5:1 360 block with eagle cast crank, eagle h beams and SRP flat top forgings. The heads were worked by Dwayne and I had a solid roller cam. The car went 11.93 on pump gas a couple weeks after a 150 mile fall foliage cruise.

I think the headwork is key. I spent a little over $2k to get my J's to flow.

to get to the 271 flow on the intakes did Dwayne remove the pushrod hump and move over the intake valve? i would rather not do this. I'm assuming he milled down the big valve guide in the bowl and then reshaped it. So the bi ply tires hook better than street radials? did you use any thermal barrier coatings? i'm thinking of using it on the bottom of the intake and carb flange area? As you can see i have more questions than answers.

Oct 2009 picts 048 (Small).jpg

to get to the 271 flow on the intakes did Dwayne remove the pushrod hump and move over the intake valve? i would rather not do this. I'm assuming he milled down the big valve guide in the bowl and then reshaped it. So the bi ply tires hook better than street radials? did you use any thermal barrier coatings? i'm thinking of using it on the bottom of the intake and carb flange area? As you can see i have more questions than answers.

Yes the poly's hook better than street radials.

Dwayne didn't remove the pushrod hump and I don't think he moved the intake valve but I am not sure.

I did use thermal barrier on the tops of the pistons for the 444. Instead of a coating on the intake, I simply RTV'ed a sheet metal plate over the bottom of the intake to keep hot oil off the intake.

My Dart Sport NHRA F/SA could easily run 10.70s at 120 mph at 3200 lbs w driver. Granted we are allowed a 9" slick and headers, but we have to have all stock internals, no porting, and stock lift on the camshaft. If anyone wants to buy a stocker engine pm me and I can arrange the details. A good NHRA legal 340 stocker engine is about $10 to 12.5 K. That class is neat, maybe ill try and put my car on tose tires one day and see what happens ... probably not. Neat car !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back