72 Duster New torsion bars what size?

-

krenzy_84

Reaction score
I have a 72 duster 340 auto. The torsion bars are completely shot. Have adjusted them and they just keep settling out. Anyway it was a 318 car to begin with so has smaller bars than stock 340 car I believe. I am going to be replacing the drums and putting a disc conversion on with tubular upper control arms. and all other bushings needed. My question is how big of a bar do I need. I wont be doing any racing just street pounding and some curvy back roads. Also should I install sway bars? thanks

Check your LCA bushings, they could be worn out. A body cars with Factory V8 and a/c have Torsion bars with the same number as 340 bars, 67-72, if you can find them.

1" bars or bigger. And if you enjoy corners at all, you should definitely add sway bars as well.

And 1.00", 1.03", and 1.06" bars aren't bad at all for ride quality either. The stock torsion bars on these cars are a joke, they're HORRIBLE for even just driving around town - no cornering stability, very little resistance to braking dive, and prone to massive understeer. I had a set of 1" Just Suspension bars on my Duster for awhile when it had a 318/904 in it. They were a huge improvement over stock, and they still rode very well. So well, in fact, that I swapped them out for a set of 1.12" bars. The 1" bars were still too soft for my plans.

With 1.12" torsion bars and sway bars front and rear, my Duster handles amazingly well for an old musclecar. The 275/35/18's in front and 295/35/18's out back help too. :D And with the Fox shocks, the ride quality is fairly similar to a modern sports car. I don't think my Duster rides any harsher than my g/f's 2013 Mustang with premium package suspension.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I will for sure get 1" or larger bars then. My car only has 40K miles on it but I can tell the rubber parts in the car show there age. Is there any brand you would recommend or just go with mopar performance?

I also have read with some of the bars they are set up for lowering the car and do not have enough adjustment left to get back to factory ride height.

I have a stock set of V8 torsion bars off of my car that still have almost perfect factory paint on them. They aren't over 1", but if you are interested in them pm me and I can pull part numbers and measure them. I would second adding a sway bar.

I didn't have any issues getting back to the stock height with the1" Just Suspension bars on my Duster. PST makes a set of 1.03" torsion bars, and although there was some complaints originally about ride height they changed the indexing on their new ones, so they should be fine now. They're also a site sponsor so you can get a discount. Firm Feel sells 1" and 1.06" bars, they're also a great vendor. That's where I got the 1.12" bars for both my Duster and my Challenger.

-
Back