72 Duster No Dash Light Power?

-

SgtLee511

Reaction score
I have been working on Dash Light Power Problem and I Havent gotten anywhere, I plan to install some LEDs, but for now I have this issue. Some years ago I had removed the entire dash assembly for painting, I re installed to find that I now have no dash lights. All my fuses are good, I have turn signal indicators working. I do not have speedometer,Alt,Fuel,temp lighting, I have replaced the bulbs, still no power. I do not have power to the light on the steering column gear indicator light. It looks to be a ground problem I am assuming, was there a ground on that harness?, I did not find one. It may or may not be related but no power to AM radio, all fuses good. I need help and or good suggestions please!

First the tail light circuit fuse must be good and that circuit working. The tail fuse powers the section of the light switch feeding the dash lamps.

Next, the power goes through the dimmer control on the switch, so this must be twisted 'to the left.'

After that the power goes to the inst. fuse, the small fuse on one end of the fuse panel.

So with the lights in park, and knob to the left, check for tail lights, then check power at the inst fuse. There should be power on both sides.

If you look at the rear of the fuse panel, there are orange wires coming off one end of that fuse. This is the feed off to all dimmer controlled lamps. These include the cluster, the radio, you shift indicator, heater bezel, etc etc.

Tail lamps good, dont know about the fuse on instrument panel? There are wires set up in a circular pattern that plug in to the panel, is that where the wire is your speaking of?

Im a little slow but I realize what your saying check the voltage on back of fuse box, orange wires

Yeah, I was just pointing out that the orange wires leaving that fuse clip feed off to all the lamps. You can check the voltage at the front, LOL. But there won't be any there except as I noted...........

good working tail circuit and fuse

lights on park or head

dimmer turned to left.

If there's no juice on the little fuse, but the tail circuit is working, next place to check is the light switch itself, "the dimmer" control. Might be dirty, etc

There's only one wire from the light switch dimmer output to the inst. fuse, tan? light brown?

-
Back