72 Duster Quarter Replacement Questions

-

duster-z

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of replacing full quarters on my duster and have a few questions.

1. I was going to make metal patches for the outer rocker (it is like this on both sides) but there is not much left in places to make a template and with out a good reference I don't want it to interfere with the new quarter. So I was thinking about ordering new rockers but I would hate to cut full rockers up for this small patch. Does any one have solid patches for both sides by chance? If not sugestions?
20180610_155655.jpg
20180610_153432.jpg

2. I noticed the roof and drip rail of the quarter glass area are over where the new quarter goes any sugestions of the best way to do this part?
20180610_134431.jpg

3. The top trunk gutter is also overlapping where the new quarter will go any advice on how to assemble this spot?

4. I have the full quarters from AMD is there anything I need to watch out for or other problems I might run in to?
20180610_195847.jpg

I have the passenger side outer rocker, I only used a small section out of the center, new AMD.
I will take a picture when I get home tonight.

Look carefully at your new AMD quarters as they probably pretty much duplicate the factory parts. (within reason) Look for the spot welds at the joints and drill them out so the factory quarters are completely gone. Including the joints at the trunk edges. Temporarily hang the quarter using clamps, sheet metal screws, clecos, whatever you have. Look at where you are and what has to be filled in. Pieces that are not visible from the outside can probably be fabbed up by you and welded in.

I understand your reluctance to buy a complete rocker and only use a small section but sometimes that is what happens. Ouch. Using a contour gauge, can you verify that the contour of the rocker is uniform front to rear? Can you buy just one new rocker, split it, and use it for both sides?

But on the other hand, is it better to remove the entire outer rocker, inspect, repair and rust proof the inner rockers and go with 2 new outer rocker panels? Your Kansas car is probably not nearly as bad as the junk we have around here.

Here is a pic of the part, I actually made one, before I bought the AMD full rocker, but I thru the template away...
PM me me if you are interested, it goes from the wheel well to around the door jam 19"
IFKX9b.jpg

oljf6k.jpg

-
Back