'72 Duster taillight ?

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening all,
What is the secret to installing the rear taillight assembly?
I have new gaskets and do not see how to get a good seal with the body.
FSM simply says to slap it together, actually that's my interpretation, the FSM reversed the Duster and Valiant and says the bumper has to be removed!

Should I glue the gasket to the tail light first to hold it in place? Does the gasket seal against the lip on the tail panel, or does it seal against the tail panel? This is driving me batty!

Unfortunately, my tail panel was so rotted out that I didn't have much of a guide when I disassembled. I've replaced the tail panel and "think" it was a good piece...
Thanks,
C

Bump, no one has done a '72 Duster?
C

Bumpity bump...

C'mon guys, surely someone has replaced the gaskets on a '72 Duster!
I really don't see how this thing goes together and makes any kind of seal...
A photo would be real helpful,
Thanks,
C

How thick is the foam gasket? It should be glued to the tail light housing just enough to hold it on, then when you screw it onto the body from inside the trunk there will no gaps, Atleast that is how the 1971's are and i assume they are not too different.

How thick is the foam gasket? It should be glued to the tail light housing just enough to hold it on, then when you screw it onto the body from inside the trunk there will no gaps, Atleast that is how the 1971's are and i assume they are not too different.

Should look like these

Attachments

• !B01V6LwEGk~$(KGrHqUOKiME)WEfELhTBMcD!Tf8rw~~_3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 148
  • !B+!5(2w!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKkMEzJ3QHtSlBM-Wuimn7Q~~_12.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 139
340, thanks for the response and pics!
The gasket is pretty thick, got it off ebay from DMT (I think that's the name). The tail panel is an AMD repop. What I started with wasn't enough left for me to tell anything! I will try and get some pics of it tomorrow. I surely would like to get these in and sealed.
Thanks again,
C

Sounds good, the pics would help, I bought a set off ebay too and they worked great, I bought another set first and they were thinner so i didn't use them. Actually a pic from inide the trunk where the tail lights mount would be good.

-
Back