72 Duster340 Oil Pan removal Help needed

-

SpenceDuster340

Reaction score
Newbie here

I need help taking off my oil pan 4 my 72 duster 340, I know I need to loosen\separate the centerlink\steering on one side and drop to get the oil pan off.

I don’t understand how to use a puller

I suspect my oil pump pickup my have fallen\detached\broke off into the pan.

I have no oil pressure or so says the idiot light on the dash, and the engine ticked like mad as I pulled her over.

I don’t understand how to use the oil pressure gauge I was given

Im hoping it’s not a bearing spun or anything so drastic as the car ran fine while ticking, In fact it seemed my throttle response from the gas pedal never seemed so good for the few seconds I let keep running when the ticking started.

I sure that means something and I’ll figure it out as I go along.

I want to see what’s in the pan, When it broke I was just starting up a steep hill at ¾ to full throttle.

The cars sat now for a year while I've taken care of family stuff first.

But now Ive got the itch to take a looksee!

I basically drive-um and don’t like to fix-um but I don’t have repair cash flow for my muscle car hobby car right now so Im on the cheap.

I’ve look at a few mopar rebuild 340 books I just don’t see exactly how to get that Link off.

Is there a video or detailed how to available so a novice can see how its done?

A few Tips\pointers to get me started would be appreciated

Thanks All

Spence

just pull the cotter pins, take the nuts off the tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm, slide the puller in place, tighten it down and things will pop apart, undo the motor mounts, raise the engine and unbolt the pan, just reverse things to put it back together, get a manual, fsm is best, but haynes or Chilton's will get you thru this.

Thank Mac, Sounds like a piece of cake, Ill give it a try...

whats a fsm manual, Factory Service Manual? and where can I get one?

Spence

fsm=Factory Service Manual, I forget where I got mine, I know I got it from an ad in a mopar magazine, you can probably just google it.

Mark

It's 77.52 at Bishkobooks.com. They have alot of good stuff. I got a reprint of the owners manual and fsm for my '68.

-
Back