72 Factory Radio fix?

-

snailpower

Reaction score
Hello FABO, my 2 knob factory AM 72 scamp dash radio does not operate and I would like to fix it. The light goes on with the headlights, as far as I can tell its hooked up and the fuse is good. However nothing comes out of the speaker, what is the best diagnosis procedure? Is there a common issue to look for?

Secondary question, if it comes to it whats the easiest way to get it out? I have dug around with the AC controller and its pretty miserable getting back in there. The AC vents prevent access from the bottom.

Thanks for any leads!

The problem with AM radio's is they have to be aligned, you could have it overhauled. Or have it converted to AM/FM Aux input 180watts of power...

For what it's worth, I have had an antenna die while driving down the road. You might check that.
Yote

Should be able to hear a tiny thumpin the speaker at power-on.
Fuse OK?

Hi:
Everyone has given some good suggestions. If you've checked your radio fuse or can definitely assure yourself that the radio is getting power, listen carefully for a little thump or a pop when you turn the radio on. If your not hearing this... there's an issue with the radio itself.

If you hear the pop, see if you can get an el-cheapo antenna and plug it into the radio. Tune it to the strongest station in your area and se if you can get your radio to play. If not, or if there's no pop, time to pull the radio.

I wish I could offer some suggestions on this, but unless your car is a '69 non-AC or older car, I can't offer suggestions on this and need help on the removal process myself!

Once the radio is out... there's a few things to consider. My guess on a non-playing radio is going to be the output transistor. You also have a radio with 40+ year old capacitors. All the electrolytic caps should be replaced. There's generally a 20% tolerance on these, so regardless of what anyone tells you, you'll be able to get values that are reasonably close to the originals. Don't worry about the ceramic caps. They **generally** don't fail.

If you're a little bit electronically savvy, this isn't tough work. I replaced all the caps and a failed tube in the radio on my other classic car.(Your radio is all transistors). If you're not, you may wish to check out some antique auto radio repair places.

Good Luck!

Well, i briefly tested a brand new speaker and to my surprise it worked.

So I ordered up the correct slim line 4x10 speaker from Auto Electronics and its working beautifully.

I also ordered one of those am boxes that allows you to operate the aux jack through the antenna through RediRad Radio Adapters, Rediscover Your Radio . I mostly listen to podcasts and some music so I think the single speaker sound is kind of cool. Maybe eventually get to installing a more modern stereo but for the time being this should be pretty cool.

Also, removal / install of that speaker is no fun!

View attachment 1715020361

View attachment 1715020362

View attachment 1715020363

View attachment 1715020364

IMG_7930.JPG

IMG_7931.JPG

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

Last edited:
Did the new speaker have a whizzer cone at the center?
It's a separate little stand up cone within the main speaker, of thinner hard paper and a free edge, designed to reproduce high frequencies better.
You can add them, then reglue your top screen fabric.
I have added them to many speakers for improved high response.

Basically, you cut a big-holed doughnut out of stiff hard paper.

Then you cut a chunk out so it's a "C",
that when you make the ends meet it's a funnel shape where the bottom meets the main cone. Then attach with super glue,
while adjusting to a 45 degree angle.
Much imagination or trial error to get the ratio right.
Wort the trouble.

Oh! The best paper was old black and white photograph paper, but should be hard thin expensive paper..

i bought their "slim line" speaker that doesn't have the cone in the middle but they do sell one with a larger magnet and cone on the center for the same price. I went with the slimmer one for ease of install (pretty tight back there).

Love the sound of an old AM single speaker. something unique and cool about it and with the input hooked up to the antenna its pretty clear to listen to podcasts or spotify on my iPhone but through a "retro filter" haha

-
Back