'72 Scamp

-
Today's progress includes... Got the other wheel painted up and... Cleaned up the centers and bolted them down. then... Wire brushed the pipes and gave them a coat of high heat paint. I want to put on a 2nd coat before I stick them away. Don't you hate it when you run out of paint?! Next, I put the column back together with the fixed turn signal switch and e-flashers. I electrical taped the wires tightly and tucked them nicely under the freshly painted column bracket. Then I started work on the horn kit and prepared to install the new wheel. Stay tuned...

Progress today involves dash work...

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Stay tuned...

Found a little time this evening so I added the guts to the cluster. Not sure how I feel about the glossy brown. I have a feeling I may regret the color later. I may have to dull it a bit to avoid glare. Thanks for looking Stay Tuned...

Found these on Craigslist last Friday. Picked 'em up on Wednesday.

Found some time today to spray them up and put them aside.

Curiosity...Had to see what it's gonna look like.

Found this in a box and...

painted it black, then set it aside.

Stay Tuned...

Add a 2nd coat of paint to the pipes and hung them to dry.

Setting the odometer back to zeros

Stay Tuned...

Steve
What did you use for paint on the rims?
I have two sets and they need refinishing too!
I have a SS1 convertible, i may go black with the rallies???

Thanks 57,

A few weeks ago I pulled down the heater box, controlls and all the guts. My plan is to get under the dash and sand and paint -you know clean things up a bit. While its out, I'll also go under the hood and clean up the engine compartment and prep it for paint.

I'm taking this thing on as little projects instead on one big one. That way (at least to me) I won't feel so overwhelmed. I didn't have a plan today I thought I'd just start in on one thing and see were it takes me.

A few posts back I mentioned that I wanted to roll the odometer back. I found a great thread here that kinda explains it.
Well, this worked out just fine...

After putting the speedo back in place, I thought I'd put the light and wiper switched back. But before I did, I gave them a once over with the wire wheel tool on the dremel.

The chocolate color is growing on me. Whatcha think?

Next I went on to the heater switches. They were also caked up with some dirt/grease combo. Again with the wire wheel I had some success. Then I began to look at the text on the switches themselves. It was barely ledgible and the "clear" plastic arms were kinda filth too so I gave them a soapy bath and dried them off. Next I grabbed the white spray paint and sprayed a little in the lid. Next I took a toothpick and filled in where the letters were. Lastly I splashed some paint thinner on a paper towel and just lightly wiped off the excess paint leaving the depressed letters filled with paint.

Here's a shot of the happy family.

Gonna need to replace this.

Stay Tuned...

Here we are at Day 62

Up under the dash, with the heater/AC removed, I find a rusty dirty hot mess.
I grabbed the wire wheel and went at it.
Then finished up with some flat black paint to cover the bare metal.

Then up in the engine hole...

I wire wheeled like a mad man on the fenders and firewall then flat blacked everything bare before I stepped out. Next time I'll hit the radiator side. This will serve as a nice base until I can get some body color paint.

I went thru 4 cans of flat black with these 2 areas. Rediculous!

Stay Tuned...

Day 63

Convinced that the front right fender had been replaced with a green one, I decided to pull it away from the cowl panel.

This looked a lot bedtter and more like the passenger side.

I'm getting the feeling that the door has been adjusted before as it doesnt really line up in the front, back or along the rocker. One day I'm gonna get gutsy and try to realign the door.

I opened up the door and noticed the hinge pin is not completely seated. It is up about 1/4".

Day 64

I pulled off the horns, charcoal box and the a/c coils. Next I gave the k-member, the steering components and virtually everything else that was grimy a good cleaning with some Crud Cutter. Lastly I removed the grille and headlight bezels.

Then I emptied another can of flat black to complete the engine bay.

While everything dried I then wiped down the grille and bezels. The grille has a few places that need repair before I paint it. This will have to wait for another day.

Thanks for looking,
Stay Tuned...

WOW man ,what a build you have going there. for someone that said "I dont know what I'm doin here". your faking it really well..lol.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement!

I believe winter is behind us now. Finally!
Day 65 - 10Nov14

IMAG1332.jpg

The grille needed a little work.

IMAG1333.jpg

So I grabbed the appropriate tools and get to work.

IMAG1334.jpg

This looks about right.

IMAG1338-1.jpg

A perfect fit.

IMAG1335.jpg

IMAG1336.jpg

Also took some time and cleaned up the canister and brackets.

Day 66 - 2May15

IMAG2027.jpg

Picking up where I left off in Nov. -before shot

IMAG2029.jpg

After. Still needs one more coat -I ran out of paint...again.

IMAG2021.jpg

This is typical of what the bezels looked like before the treatment.

IMAG2030.jpg

After 2 coats of flat black.

Thanks for looking,
Stay Tuned...

While on recovery from surgery I'm getting boring on the couch knowing I have so much to do outside.

The other day I picked up some more flat black and today I got back to work.

IMAG2178.jpg

IMAG2181.jpg

IMAG2180.jpg

IMAG2179.jpg

All repaired and murdered out.
I got tired so I came back in.

Stay Tuned...

Steve I love this. Glad to find a kindred rattle canner! Keep up the good work

Following this as I will be heading down this very same path on a 72 Duster for my wife.

Amazing what you can do with a rattle can,& some patience. Mine, is the same way.

Steve - This is an amazing project that you are working on. I can't believe the progress you've made. Thanks for sharing all of the pictures. They were great! Dan W.

-
Back