'72 Scamp

-
Yeah rattle can for now. I have a 2 gal compressor and I see that HF has a cheap sprayer. I may look into that. I'm gonna get their $40 da sander. One thing at a time.

Yeah rattle can for now. I have a 2 gal compressor and I see that HF has a cheap sprayer. I may look into that. I'm gonna get their $40 da sander. One thing at a time.

Skip the air tools if all you have is a 2gal compressor. you will only frusterate yourself. DA use a TON of air. Buy the electric version... But PM me your address Ill send you my HF DA which ive barely used because even my compressor wont keep up.

I had the day off on Friday so after I dropped the kids off at school, I came back home, ate some breakfast and started in...

That pesky bondo bubble was on my mind and I wanted to find out what was behind it.

I got started in and found more putty than I imagined.

After all this sanding, I was beat. To avoid further rust, I covered it all up.

Saturday was a new day. Today I got into the drivers side top fender piece. This one was a lot harder to get clean. The previous owner must have been a body man or something. Grey and red primer and 2 different colors of gold underneath.

I gave the other one another coat of primer. Much better.

Then I decided to tackle the lower valance. It had a few dents I was able to bang into submission. This will be the next piece I clean off and prime.

Stay Tuned...

Thanks Dartn, Had the day off today for Veterans day. Thank you to all our veterans and current enlisted military!

Not too much got done today.

After dropping off the kids at school, I dug right in on sanding the lower rear valance.
Then after it was all cleaned off...

I shot it with the last drop of primer I had.

As far as body rust goes, this is all I can see -at least on the driver's side. I have no access to a welder nor do I know how to use it and with a low budget, I think I'm gonna take my chances with bondo. By the time the problem resurfaces, I'll be in a better position to address it the correct way.
Stay Tuned...

Check out Mar glass,kitty hair and a sand blaster at least......

This is all new to me. Never even thought of fiberglass. I'll look into this.
Thanks Bomber!

Its nice to see another Scamp. They're definitely good lookin cars with an engine bay big enough for a 440. I love my Scamp, I call it the Lemon Law. I just finished converting is to a Super Six 2bbl setup. Next is a cam and headers. Your car is in good shape you'll enjoy it once its done. Keep us posted. :)
:cheers:

I had the day off today so I thought I'd spend some time with Ugly Betty...

So I took out the back seat and I found a 2nd broadcast sheet. At least this one is readable. Wonder which one is for this car. Is it possible that there were 2?

That rusty mess in the trunk is a spare gas tank.

Also I took off the glove box and found this behind the dash. This is making me nervous about the suspect wiring. I'm not gonna feel safe until I replace it all. Mo money, mo money...

Stay Tuned...

This is going to be good. Josh has great idea's for doing things.

As far as the broadcast sheets, I found one behind my rear seat like yours and I also found another one stuffed up between the dash and the heater box. I own a 71 Scamp by the way, lol. I can remember back 7 years ago when I first bought my 71 and looking like that. It's taken a long time but its almost ready for paint and the rebuild 340 will get dropped in during my Christmas break.

Got the kick panels off today and scrubbed them with dish soap, then painted with the cheapest, flattest black they had at Wally World.

Removed the tired old speakers and door panels.

Then scrubbed the glove box door to get off the stickers. Kids and their stickers! GRRRRR,

Removed, cleaned and painted the door handles.
Stay Tuned...

I'm also working on a /6 '72 Scamp. Looks like you are making a lot of progress! Keep after it, looking good!:cheers:

Looking great! You do have a lot of work ahead of you, but it will be worth it. Especially when somebody tells you that you have a nice "Dart"! Then you get to go into the whole story of how the Dart, Duster, Demon, Scamp and Dart Sport all share similar bodies and parts blah, blah, blah!

Attachments

• i28447.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 503
This is turning out nice! Always like to see someone save one and fix it up. I cheated on mine, bought it nearly completed.

Good to see another Scamp being saved:burnout:
One of these days i need to get back on mine, haven't touched it in almost a year!

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. It means a lot!

After the paint dried on the door handles, close inspection showed that on the driver side there were some cracks in the usual places. I mixed up some jb and got after it. Don't know how well it will hold up as 40 year old plastic is brittle.

Snooping around in the trunk, I came across another cluster -missing the fuel gauge, a crap load of extra windshield wiper arms, a bunch of headlight trim rings, a spare gas tank, another steering column with wheel -this one looks like it came with the car (the turn signal switch is busted), an extra set of sun visors, rear view mirror and a bent up antenea. Funny thing about the mileage shown on the odometer, is it possible that the car it came from only had 48k on it? The odometer in the car shows 35k and this motor wont start. why did these early dinosaurs die prematurely? Poor maintenance?

Stay Tuned...

My guess would be 148k...but you never know. Take that cluster and stick it in a fully restored car and viola a car that only had 48k original miles. Most state DMV offices don't even look when a car is titled. Another reason to be careful when buying a classic. That looks just like mine in the 74.... Only gauge that works is the amp meter!

you may want to look at some panel bonding adhesive. its supposed to be as strong as a weld and you will have better results then filling the holes with filler of any kind.

The interior is '70's yellow. But this won't fit with my plans so...

Now for some nostalgia, the previous owner had this on the inside of the glove box door. I thought it was cool, so I'm leaving it there.

Also decided to clean up the engine bay. Now the master cylinder cover is as pretty as a daisy in a landfill.

And what was inside hasn’t been considered brake fluid for long time!

Stay Tuned...

Owner of a 72 Scamp myself..... You have a nice base ,to work with.

-
Back