72 Slant-Six 4 Speed

-
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a '72 Duster with the 225 and a three-speed manual tranny (floor shift). The current trans is in need of a rebuild, but I would really like to replace it with something better rather than do the rebuild. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a good rebuilt A833 and bell-housing set up to mate to the back of my motor? I'm really looking for a four-speed without the overdrive, so that I have a better gear for driving around in town and get better acceleration when getting up to highway speeds. The gap between second and third really makes it difficult to make a quick shift and get up to speed quickly. The motor is mostly stock, freshly rebuilt; it's been bored .040 because it had been rebuilt before by a different owner, and it has a mild cam hop-up from Comp Cams. I've looked at going with something more radical like a Tremec five-speed, but I don't have the cash to push that, so a production A833 seems like a better route to get something better than the three-speed. Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.

look in the junkyards for late 70's early 80's pickups and vans, some of them had the over drive 4speed with /6 , good source for bellhousing and flywheel setup

Most 833s used a 4.35" input bearing retainer, same as the 3 speed. All you really need is a non OD tranny, shifter, and front yoke on the driveshaft.

Most 833s used a 4.35" input bearing retainer, same as the 3 speed. All you really need is a non OD tranny, shifter, and front yoke on the driveshaft.

100% correct.

I would get ahold of Passon or Brewer's, they would probably sell you a complete trans etc. rebuilt and ready to bolt in and go.

HotRod, I dug out the 2 that I have. 1 from a 65 and from a 71. Neither has a dual pattern.

Well, $2000 later, my Duster now has the A833 tranny with a Hurst shifter kit. Thanks everyone for the tips and Brewers Performance was extremely helpful and got me everything I needed to bolt everything up.

-
Back