72 swinger instrument swap????

-

Tur8o Joe

Reaction score
hey guys i am swapping out dash in my 72 dart for a new set of autometer gauges and after market dash. Hear is my issue when i removed the OE dash i have no power to starter and engine to take out the old dash i had to disconect a red and black heavy wire the head light switch wiper and a small cluster type plug in dose any one know what i have to do to make this swap work and retain power to all. I want to have all my gauges in for start up getting close shooting for Saturday start up!! any thoughts on my new toy a 1966 barracuda i want to put a late model hemi in it and use as a driver and street sleeper

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0558.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 232
sounds like you may have either a crossed wire, bad ground or a potential short...

Have to put the red and black wires together from the amp gauge to restore power without the factory dash in place. Make sure you insulate connection with electrical tape. You could have a short if not insulated and it touchs metal under the dash.

That thick black and red wire gotta b connected... Make sure its covered, wrap it with alot of tape, shrink tubeing... Thats your charging wire, so make sure it dont short out... It really shud b re routed so it dont go threw bulk head, esp if u no longer have an amp gauge...but thats another project

hey thanks but can you be more specific black and red connect to what each other? or ? thanks

hey thanks but can you be more specific black and red connect to what each other? or ? thanks

Use a bolt and nut to connect them together then lots if tape to insulate connection. Battery should also be disconnected while doing this work.

thanks that took care of it car has power again now i need to make a new dash out of the old one the after market one i got dose not fit like every thing else lol!! since i have the whole dash out it looks like i can fab just about any thing i want to fit in there its just sheet metal thats painted black i can open it up make it longer dose any one have any ideas?

Those are the amp meter connections. Look in the "how too articles" there's a great article on amp meter bypass and a simple power reroute improvement.

thanks that took care of it car has power again now i need to make a new dash out of the old one the after market one i got dose not fit like every thing else lol!! since i have the whole dash out it looks like i can fab just about any thing i want to fit in there its just sheet metal thats painted black i can open it up make it longer dose any one have any ideas?

You can open it up larger if you want. If you are fabbing something you can do whatever you'd like. I bought a fabricated panel.

Here is the stock vs. the new panel

Attachments

• 10354954_10204960777848583_3154114383600923141_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 1%20small.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 111
-
Back