72 Valiant/Scamp big block for sale nearby, need info

-

Paul_G

Reaction score
72 Plymouth Valiant/Scamp
I dont have much knowledge about A body's. I know everyone loves a Dart, what about the Valiant/Scamp?
So what is the difference between a Valiant and a Scamp?
It looks like it has been done nicely.
Looking for some feedback on these cars, especially when heavily modded like this one.

How well do the A Body's handle the torque of a 440? Problems to look for, etc.?

00K0K_1wL332HLHv7_600x450.jpg

00E0E_55q4R1d8HNL_600x450.jpg

00909_fEb31BhT0v3_600x450.jpg

00R0R_194PndwZlM2_600x450.jpg

01515_7XLxJUXL5Ka_600x450.jpg

Valiants and Scamps are pretty much the same body, but may have different trim levels...

A 440 in a Valiant/Scamp is good for going fast in a straight line...

With a 440, there is no room for power steering... So you have a nose heavy light car with manual steering... (Good for building muscles in your arms....)

I've only had Valiants, no Scamps yet, so I haven't done the old compare and contrast with them.... (Not that I'm opposed to getting a Scamp, just haven't found one at the time when I was looking for a car...)

Here's a thread with a link to a site with many sales brochures. You can look up the different models and see what options they came with...

Original Brochures

just be careful, that particular car was build by an chevy guy, not a mopar man

For '72, the Valiant was a 4-door sedan & the Valiant Scamp was a 2-door hardtop.

I have a scamp. Think of it as if a duster and a dart had a kid. Dart body. Duster grill/fenders. Everything is interchangable like most a bodys. It's actually the valiant scamp (here in canada at least) the valiant is the "base" model and the scamp is the "trim" level. As far as I understand it. And as far as my insurance here tells me.

Big block's in these smaller A bodys are fun. Constant tire roasting fun. But expect a lot of the usual problems. It'll be impossible to reach the back two plugs on the drivers side. Everything will be a 1/4" away from everything else. No power brakes. Forget power steering. Etc etc.

That car looks well done. 18,000 isn't ridiculous. I bet he's got at least that much into it. But like diymirage mentioned. With that black engine bay I suspect it was done by a chevy guy.

Black bay, traction bars and chevy exhaust exit point... Traction bars do work on mopars, not the same as a longer front segment chevy. :)

Looks like a nice car, not so sure I'd drop 18K or anything close to it

I see no mention of subframe connectors - that's an issue with this body style and the extra weight and HP involved. It's pretty, but look for ripples in the rear quarters, on the panel areas that meet the sail panels and anywhere along the roof. Is the rear seat gone? It looks like the fuel lines and battery cables run through the back where there SHOULD be a back seat rest... not sure how it is there, but here that is a legality issue as far as driving it on the street goes... and it's crappy engineering...

I dont have much knowledge about A body's. I know everyone loves a Dart, what about the Valiant/Scamp?
Looking for some feedback on these cars, especially when heavily modded like this one.

How well do the A Body's handle the torque of a 440? Problems to look for, etc.?

That thing is pretty sweet! I like a more stock appearance inside and out myself, but that is awesome :)

Also, depending on the amount of aluminum parts used in the assembly of the motor and accessories, the weight difference between a 340 and a 440 is somewhat negligible... My 383 Dart has an aluminum intake, heads, radiator, water pump housing, etc etc etc...

Last edited:
Them fenderwell headers make for good plug access and very good plug wire life. No burned boots or wires. The only engine with better plug access an wire life is a hemi.

Double post,,,,,again
if u can get a good price on it, and it`s done well, u can always change a few things. I always wondered about guys putting the battery on the drivers side myself .

I would sure a heck have a GOOD mopar builder look it over closely. no double if ya buy it you will change out some things. like said, BB alum parts will greatly reduce weight IF they are there! an over sized front sway bar will help curves a bunch. BB and manual steer, I love it on the roads I never drive in the city though!. price, me I would never drop $18000 in that. makes NO difference what the seller spent.
mechanic buddy got $20,000 for 70 dart similar car, BUT the buyer knew the seller and that every single thing was done RIGHT! makes a big difference!

-
Back